1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in entropy, quasistatic, isothermal expansion

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to show that ΔS=Q/T for the isothermal expansion of a monoatomic ideal gas, when the expansion is so slow that the gas is always in equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations
    1. law: ΔU=Q+W (We mustn't use dQ and dW - our teacher hates that :( ).
    Ideal gas law: PV=NkT
    We need the equation: ΔS=Nk*ln(V_final/V_initial)
    And that quasistatic expansion work is W=-PΔV

3. The attempt at a solution
    -I think I am to start with: ΔU=Q+W⇔Q=ΔU-W, where ΔU=0 since its isothermal.
    -I know that it is quasistatic expansion work, so W = -PΔV, so Q = -(-PΔV) = PΔV
    I think I want to get something from the ideal gas law in here: P=(NkT)/V, so

Q=(NkTΔV)/V

But then I kind of get stuck there...

Hope someone can help. I thinks it is really easy, but I kind wrap my head around it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Looking at what you are supposed to show, take Q/T and compare that to what you have for ##\Delta S##.
    So it seems like the question is: does ##\frac {\Delta V}{V} = \ln \frac{V_{final}}{V_{initial}}##?

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    Yeah - something like that?

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

What do you know about the function for V and/or ##\Delta##V if you are given an initial and final state?
    Also, in the equations you provided for the ideal gas law, you change between R and k, are these different parameters?

6. Oct 23, 2014 #5
    I don't know anything but what I have written unfortunately. No, sorry - that's my mistake. It should have been k all along.

7. Oct 23, 2014 #6
    You really had the right idea in your initial post. Nice job. Now, just express the heat in differential form:
    [tex]dQ=PdV=\frac{NkT}{V}dV[/tex]
    Then integrate between the initial and final volumes.

Chet

8. Oct 24, 2014 #7
    Great - thanks a lot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted