Change in entropy when mixing cold and hot water

In summary: One is in the numerator (the leftmost term), and the other is in the denominator (the rightmost term).
tuki
Homework Statement
1.00 kg of hot water (T = 100 celcius) and 1.00 kg of cold water (T = 0 celcius) are mixed in bowl. It results in 2.00kg of water which temperature is 50 Celcius. Calculate the whole systems change in entropy.
Relevant Equations
Change in entropy:
$$ dS = \frac{dQ}{T} $$
Heat capacity:
$$ Q = Cm\Delta T $$
I tried following:

$$ dS_{\text{total}} = |\frac{dQ}{T_c}| |\frac{dQ}{T_H}| $$

where ## T_h ## is temperature of hot water and ## T_c ## is temperature of cold water. Coefficient for water wasn't provided in the assignment so i used following value c = 4190 J/kgK.

$$ dS_{\text{total}} = |\frac{cm\Delta T}{T_c}| - |\frac{cm\Delta T}{T_h}| $$

where ## dQ = cm\Delta T = 4190 \text{ J/kgK} \cdot 1 \text{ kg} \cdot 50 \text{ K} ##

my result for change in entropy is:

$$ dS \approx 205 \text{ J/K} $$

However the correct answer should be:

$$ dS \approx 102 \text{ J/K} $$

Physics news on Phys.org
tuki said:
$$ dS_{\text{total}} = |\frac{cm\Delta T}{T_c}| - |\frac{cm\Delta T}{T_h}| $$
The expression ## |\frac{cm\Delta T}{T_c}|## is not the correct way to calculate the entropy change of the cold water. Can you see how to do this correctly by integrating the expression ##dS = \frac{dQ}{T}##?

TSny said:
The expression ## |\frac{cm\Delta T}{T_c}|## is not the correct way to calculate the entropy change of the cold water. Can you see how to do this correctly by integrating the expression ##dS = \frac{dQ}{T}##?

$$ S = \int \frac{1}{T}dQ $$

but what from now?

this equation has ## \Delta T ## but not T
$$ Q = cm \Delta T $$

I think I want ## T(Q) ## so I can integrate this properly?

tuki said:
$$ S = \int \frac{1}{T}dQ $$
Can you express ##dQ## in terms of ##dT##?

Well

$$ T = \frac{dQ}{dS} \implies dT = d(\frac{dQ}{dS}) $$

Not quite sure how I would do this? (this one probably not even in right direction)

Express ##\Delta Q = mc \Delta T## in infinitesimal form.
##dQ = ?##

## dQ = mcdT ## ?

Right. So, ##\int \frac{dQ}{T} = ?##

## \int \frac{dQ}{T} = \int \frac{mc}{T}dT ## ?

tuki said:
## \int \frac{dQ}{T} = \int \frac{mc}{T}dT ## ?
Yes. When you put appropriate limits on the integral, it will represent the change in entropy ##\Delta S## for the cold water. Deal with the hot water in a similar way.

In doing the integrals, you can treat the specific heat ##c## as a constant (independent of temperature) to a good approximation.

So then i have:

$$ \Delta S = \int_{T_0}^{T_1} \frac{cm}{T}dT = cm(ln(T_1)-ln(T_0)) $$

now when i compute ##\Delta S## for cold and hot

$$ \Delta S_{\text{total}} = cm(ln(T_n)-ln(T_H)+ln(T_c)-ln(T_n)) = cm(ln(T_c)-ln(T_h)) $$

Where ## T_n ## is temperature at balanced state. Now ##\Delta S_{\text{total}} ## gives wrong result

$$ \Delta S_{\text{total}} \approx -1307 \text{ J/kg} $$

Units seems to be off too.

tuki said:
So then i have:

$$ \Delta S_{\text{total}} = cm(ln(T_n)-ln(T_H)+ln(T_c)-ln(T_n)) = cm(ln(T_c)-ln(T_h)) $$

Where ## T_n ## is temperature at balanced state. Now ##\Delta S_{\text{total}} ## gives wrong result

$$ \Delta S_{\text{total}} \approx -1307 \text{ J/kg} $$

Units seems to be off too.
The equation should read:
$$ \Delta S_{\text{total}} = cm(ln(T_n)-ln(T_H)-ln(T_c)+ln(T_n))$$
(check the signs)

For a straightforward step-by-step cookbook recipe on how to determine the change in entropy of a system that experiences and irreversible process, see the following Physics Forums Insights article: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/grandpa-chets-entropy-recipe/

tuki said:
So then i have:

OK. ##T_0## is intial temperature and ##T_1## is final temperature.

You have two sign errors in the middle expression (as pointed out by @Chestermiller).

1. How does mixing cold and hot water affect entropy?

When cold and hot water are mixed, the entropy of the system increases. This is because the molecules in each type of water have different energies and, when mixed, they become more randomly distributed.

2. Why does mixing cold and hot water result in an increase in entropy?

This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The act of mixing cold and hot water increases the randomness of the system, leading to a higher entropy.

3. Does the temperature of the water affect the change in entropy when mixing?

Yes, the temperature of the water does affect the change in entropy when mixing. The greater the difference in temperature between the two types of water, the greater the increase in entropy.

4. Is mixing cold and hot water an example of an irreversible process?

Yes, mixing cold and hot water is an irreversible process. This means that once the two types of water are mixed, it is impossible to separate them back into their original states. This is because the increase in entropy is irreversible.

5. Can the change in entropy when mixing cold and hot water be reversed?

No, the change in entropy when mixing cold and hot water cannot be reversed. Once the two types of water are mixed, the increase in entropy is irreversible. However, the overall entropy of the universe will continue to increase over time.