Change in mechanical energy (gravitation)

In summary, the equation for estimating the work needed to put a satellite into orbit is as follows: E2 - E1 = W
vinicius0197
I got a little bit confused while studying gravitational potential energy, particularly the expression for long distances: (-GMm/r). An exercise asks me for the velocity, period and radial acceleration for a 1000kg satellite that I wish to put into orbit. That's okay. But after that, I'm questioned for the amount of work needed to put this satellite into orbit. The book says that the necessary work is given by the difference between the total mechanical energy when the satellite is in orbit and the total mechanical energy when the satellite is grounded. The book uses the equation: (E=-GMm/2r) for mechanical energy - where M is the mass of the Earth and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth.
That confuses me. I know that, by the work-energy theorem that work equals the change in kinetic energy, and I know that the change in gravitational potential energy equals minus Work (delta U = -W). But calculating work by change in mechanical energy is new for me. Where does it come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the work energy theorem here.

vinicius0197 said:
I got a little bit confused while studying gravitational potential energy, particularly the expression for long distances: (-GMm/r). An exercise asks me for the velocity, period and radial acceleration for a 1000kg satellite that I wish to put into orbit. That's okay. But after that, I'm questioned for the amount of work needed to put this satellite into orbit. The book says that the necessary work is given by the difference between the total mechanical energy when the satellite is in orbit and the total mechanical energy when the satellite is grounded. The book uses the equation: (E=-GMm/2r) for mechanical energy - where M is the mass of the Earth and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth.
That confuses me. I know that, by the work-energy theorem that work equals the change in kinetic energy, and I know that the change in gravitational potential energy equals minus Work (delta U = -W). But calculating work by change in mechanical energy is new for me. Where does it come from?
The total mechanical energy in the initial position (grounded):
E1 = K1 + U1 ; K is kinetic energy and U is gravitational potential energy. Since it is grounded, K1 = 0
While it is in orbit, the total mechanical energy is:
E2 = K2 + U2
The difference in energy has to come from somewhere. That is external work. It could be because of the exhaust gases, or Superman throws the satellite into orbit, or whatever. So
E2 - E1 = W (1)
The same thing can be done starting from the work - kinetic energy theorem:
ΔK = K2 - K1 = Work done by gravity + Work by other forces (gases, Superman, whatever) (2)
Work done by gravity = - ΔU = - (U2 - U1) (3)
substitute (3) into (2) and rearrange the terms to get (1)

Likes vinicius0197

1. How is mechanical energy affected by changes in gravitation?

Mechanical energy is a combination of potential energy and kinetic energy. When an object is in a gravitational field, its potential energy changes as the distance between it and the source of gravity changes. This affects the total mechanical energy of the object, as the sum of its potential and kinetic energy will also change.

2. Can an object's mechanical energy increase or decrease due to changes in gravitation?

Yes, an object's mechanical energy can increase or decrease due to changes in gravitation. For example, when an object is lifted to a higher altitude in a gravitational field, its potential energy increases, causing an increase in its total mechanical energy. On the other hand, when an object falls towards the source of gravity, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases, resulting in a decrease in its total mechanical energy.

3. How does the principle of conservation of energy apply to changes in mechanical energy due to gravitation?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This applies to changes in mechanical energy due to gravitation, as the total mechanical energy of an object will remain constant even as its potential and kinetic energy change. Any increase or decrease in potential energy will be balanced out by an equal decrease or increase in kinetic energy, respectively.

4. How do we calculate the change in mechanical energy due to changes in gravitation?

The change in mechanical energy due to changes in gravitation can be calculated using the formula ΔE = mgh, where ΔE is the change in mechanical energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the change in height or distance from the source of gravity. This formula assumes no other external forces acting on the object.

5. Can changes in mechanical energy due to gravitation have an impact on the behavior of objects in our daily lives?

Yes, changes in mechanical energy due to gravitation can have a significant impact on the behavior of objects in our daily lives. For example, understanding the changes in mechanical energy when lifting or dropping objects can help us determine the amount of force needed to move them. It also plays a crucial role in the mechanics of many everyday devices, such as elevators, roller coasters, and pulley systems.