Ideal gas process internal energy change

In summary, the problem presents a process for an ideal gas in which the process is adiabatic from A to B, isobaric with 100 kJ of heat entering from B to C, isothermal from C to D, and isobaric with 150 kJ of heat leaving from D to A. The task is to determine the difference in internal energy between points B and A. Two methods are used, with the first resulting in a difference of 42.9 kJ and the second resulting in 19 kJ. The discrepancy is likely due to inconsistent values given for the amount of heat added during the process.
arili

Homework Statement

A sample of an ideal gas goes through the process shown in Figure P20.32. From A to B, the process is adiabatic; from B to C, it is isobaric with 100 kJ of energy entering the system by heat. From C to D, the process is isothermal; from D to A, it is isobaric with 150 kJ of energy leaving the system by heat. Determine the difference in internal energy Eint,B – Eint,A.
image092020141491.png

Homework Equations

PV^gamma=PV^gamma
U = Q + W

The Attempt at a Solution

I know two ways to solve this, and I am just wondering why the two ways give different answers.

Way 1: Uc-Ub = Qbc + Wbc = Qbc - Pb(Vc-Vb) = 5.79 kJ
Ud-Uc = 0 kJ
Ua-Ud = Qad + Wad = Qad - Pa(Va-Vd) = -48.7 kJ
Ub - Ua = -((Uc-Ub)+(Ud-Uc)+(Ua-Ud)) = 42.9 kJ

Way 2: PV^gamma = constant in adiabatic processes. So we can use Pa, Pb, Va, Vb to solve for gamma. I got 1.375. Thus Cv = R/(gamma-1). But when I substitute Ub - Ua = nCvT = (1/(gamma-1))(PbVb-PaVa) I get 19kJ.

What's the reason for this discrepancy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work for both approaches looks good to me. Hope I'm not overlooking something.

I would say that the numbers given in the problem are inconsistent. For example, you can use your value of ##\gamma## to find ##C_P## and then calculate the heat added going from B to C using ##Q = nC_p\Delta T##. It doesn't agree with the value for the heat given in the problem.

The discrepency is this: Who says that the amounts of heat are 100 and 150? This is inconsistent with your calculation using method 2. (Of course, this all assumes that that the process paths are irreversible).

Chet

1. What is an ideal gas process?

An ideal gas process is a type of thermodynamic process in which the gas follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. In this process, the gas is assumed to have no intermolecular forces and the particles are considered to be point masses.

2. How is internal energy change related to an ideal gas process?

The internal energy of a gas is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of its particles. In an ideal gas process, the internal energy change is related to the change in temperature of the gas. As the temperature of the gas increases, the internal energy also increases and vice versa. This change in internal energy is determined by the heat transfer and work done on the gas during the process.

3. What factors affect the internal energy change in an ideal gas process?

The internal energy change in an ideal gas process is affected by the heat transfer and work done on the gas. Additionally, the number of moles of gas, the temperature, and the initial and final volumes also play a role in determining the internal energy change. The type of process (isothermal, adiabatic, isobaric, or isochoric) also affects the internal energy change.

4. How is the internal energy change calculated in an ideal gas process?

The internal energy change in an ideal gas process can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the heat transfer (Q) minus the work done (W) on the gas. Mathematically, this can be represented as ΔU = Q - W.

5. What is the significance of internal energy change in an ideal gas process?

The internal energy change in an ideal gas process is significant because it helps us understand the energy transfer and work done in the process. It also allows us to calculate various thermodynamic properties of the gas, such as its enthalpy and entropy. Furthermore, the internal energy change can help us determine the efficiency of a process and make predictions about the behavior of the gas in different conditions.