Comparison of Change in Entropy

In summary: So, sir ##dT## means little change in between temperature ##T_1## and ##T_2##? I thought that was a differential.
nazmulhasanshipon
Homework Statement
If in both an [*isobaric*](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_process) and [isothermal](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isothermal_process) process, the volume of one gram hydrogen gas (which is evidently by the formula ##n=\frac{m}{M}## is ##0.5## mole) is expanded ##4## times the original volume then calculate the change in entropy in the two thermodynamic process and also compare the two change in entropy mathematically.
Relevant Equations
Second law of Thermodynamics, Entropy, Isobaric Process, Isothermal Process
Upon seeing the question in my assignment I knew in a isobaric process, work done by the gas is ##W=P\Delta V## so if volume is increased ##4## times the original considering the original volume as ##V## we can say after expansion the volume is ##4V##. Then ##W=P(4V-V)=3PV## and the ##Q## would be ##Q=\Delta U +3PV## but I don't know how to go from here all the way to comparison. Also upon searching in the web I found [this](https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Book%3A_Physical_Chemistry_(Fleming)/05%3A_The_Second_Law/5.04%3A_Calculating_Entropy_Changes) which is helpful but for the isobaric process I don't know anything of the temperature ##T##. I am very much confused here. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the initial and final temperatures are T1 and T2, and the initial and final volumes are V1 and V2, for n moles of an ideal gas, what is the equation for the change in entropy between the two states?

If the pressure is constant and the volume of an ideal gas increases by 4X, from the ideal gas law, by what factor does the temperature increase?

Chestermiller said:
If the initial and final temperatures are T1 and T2, and the initial and final volumes are V1 and V2, for n moles of an ideal gas, what is the equation for the change in entropy between the two states?

If the pressure is constant and the volume of an ideal gas increases by 4X, from the ideal gas law, by what factor does the temperature increase?
We can use Charles law to find out the final temperature. And "what is the equation for the change in entropy between the two states?" I don't know about that. Please help me understand it.

nazmulhasanshipon said:
We can use Charles law to find out the final temperature.
Yes.
nazmulhasanshipon said:
And "what is the equation for the change in entropy between the two states?" I don't know about that. Please help me understand it.
Suppose you increase the temperature of n moles of an ideal gas reversibly from T1 to T2 at constant volume. Do you know how to determine the entropy change for that constant volume process?

Chestermiller said:
Yes.

Suppose you increase the temperature of n moles of an ideal gas reversibly from T1 to T2 at constant volume. Do you know how to determine the entropy change for that constant volume process?
I know the change in entropy is ##\cfrac{\Delta Q}{T}##. And I don't need it for the constant volume. I need it for the constant pressure.

nazmulhasanshipon said:
I know the change in entropy is ##\cfrac{\Delta Q}{T}##. And I don't need it for the constant volume. I need it for the constant pressure.
The general equation for the entropy change of a closed system is $$\Delta S=\int{\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}}$$

I'm trying to help you get it for the constant pressure case. You need to trust me. What is your equation for the constant volume case?

Chestermiller said:
The general equation for the entropy change of a closed system is $$\Delta S=\int{\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}}$$

I'm trying to help you get it for the constant pressure case. You need to trust me. What is your equation for the constant volume case?
Actually I don't know about the equation of the entropy change case in constant volume. Would you tell me?

Chestermiller said:

and also sir, can you please tell me what is 2nd law of thermodynamics using the definition of entropy?

nazmulhasanshipon said:
Actually I don't know about the equation of the entropy change case in constant volume. Would you tell me?
To get the change in entropy of a closed system, you need to devise (i.e., dream up) a reversible path between the initial and final states of the system. For a system experiencing a temperature change at constant volume, the reversible change can be brought about by contacting the system with a sequence of constant temperature reservoirs, each at a slightly different temperature running from T1 to T2. For such a constant volume process, the entropy change is described by $$dS=\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}=\frac{nC_vdT}{T}$$ or $$\Delta S=nC_V\int_{T_1}^{T_2}{\frac{dT}{T}}$$

Does this make sense so far?

Likes Delta2 and nazmulhasanshipon
Chestermiller said:
To get the change in entropy of a closed system, you need to devise (i.e., dream up) a reversible path between the initial and final states of the system. For a system experiencing a temperature change at constant volume, the reversible change can be brought about by contacting the system with a sequence of constant temperature reservoirs, each at a slightly different temperature running from T1 to T2. For such a constant volume process, the entropy change is described by $$dS=\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}=\frac{nC_vdT}{T}$$ or $$\Delta S=nC_V\int_{T_1}^{T_2}{\frac{dT}{T}}$$

Does this make sense so far?
So, sir ##dT## means little change in between temperature ##T_1## and ##T_2##? I thought that was a differential. (and sorry I didn't call you sir earlier, I didn't know you were a teacher)

nazmulhasanshipon said:
So, sir ##dT## means little change in between temperature ##T_1## and ##T_2##? I thought that was a differential. (and sorry I didn't call you sir earlier, I didn't know you were a teacher)
Yes, that is correct. The system temperature in this reversible path changes gradually from T1 to T2, as the system is contacted with ever increasing temperatures of ideal reservoirs running from T1 to T2.

Chestermiller said:
Yes, that is correct. The system temperature in this reversible path changes gradually from T1 to T2, as the system is contacted with ever increasing temperatures of ideal reservoirs running from T1 to T2.
Yes, sir. It's a wonderful explanation. So far, it makes sense. But the symbol ##dT## makes me to think it is a differential.

nazmulhasanshipon said:
Yes, sir. So far, it makes sense. But the symbol ##dT## makes me to think it is a differential.
Yes, that is correct. Is that a problem? Do you know how to integrate dT/T from T1 to T2?

Chestermiller said:
Yes, that is correct. Is that a problem? Do you know how to integrate dT/T from T1 to T2?
Yes, ##\ln \frac{T_2}{T_1}## is the integral. But the problem is that in Calculus teacher told that ##dx, dy## has no meaning and ##\frac{dy}{dx}## is not a fraction so we can't separate them.

nazmulhasanshipon said:
Yes, ##\ln \frac{T_2}{T_1}## is the integral. But the problem is that in Calculus teacher told that ##dx, dy## has no meaning and ##\frac{dy}{dx}## is not a fraction so we can't separate them.
That integration is correct. I have no ideal what your calculus teacher is talking about.

Chestermiller said:
That integration is correct. I have no ideal what your calculus teacher is talking about.
Okay, sir. Then the next step?

I have to run an errand in a little while.

The constant pressure process goes from T1 and V1 to T2 and V2. We are going to split the reversible change into two steps. First, reversibly increase the temperature at constant volume V1 from T1 to T2 (we've already done that). Next, determine the entropy change in going from V1 to V2 at the final temperature from step 1, T2. The entropy change for the overall constant pressure reversible process will be equal to the sum of the entropy changes for steps 1 and 2.

Chestermiller said:

The constant pressure process goes from T1 and V1 to T2 and V2. We are going to split the reversible change into two steps. First, reversibly increase the temperature at constant volume V1 from T1 to T2 (we've already done that). Next, determine the entropy change in going from V1 to V2 at the final temperature from step 1, T2. The entropy change for the overall constant pressure reversible process will be equal to the sum of the entropy changes for steps 1 and 2.
I will be doing it the ways you described. I'm sure I'll face some problem. Can I know when would you be free?

Chestermiller said:

Sir, if I haven't made a mistake then the change in entropy for the isobaric process is- $$n C_v \int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{dT}{T} + nR \ln \left (\frac{V_2}{V_1} \right )$$ and the change in entropy in the isothermal process is $$nR \ln \left (\frac{V_2}{V_1} \right )$$
Am I correct, sir?

Likes Delta2 and Chestermiller

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to change?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is often used to describe the amount of energy that is unavailable for work. Change in entropy refers to the difference in entropy between two states of a system, and it can provide insights into the direction and magnitude of a physical or chemical process.

2. How is change in entropy calculated?

Change in entropy is calculated by taking the difference between the entropy of the final state and the entropy of the initial state. This can be represented by the equation ΔS = Sfinal - Sinitial. The units for entropy are typically joules per kelvin (J/K).

3. What factors affect change in entropy?

There are several factors that can affect change in entropy, including temperature, pressure, volume, and the number of particles in a system. Generally, an increase in temperature, pressure, or volume will result in an increase in entropy, while a decrease in these factors will result in a decrease in entropy. The number of particles in a system can also impact entropy, with more particles typically leading to a higher entropy.

4. How does change in entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Therefore, change in entropy can be used to determine the direction of a physical or chemical process. If the change in entropy is positive, then the process is spontaneous and the total entropy of the system is increasing. If the change in entropy is negative, then the process is non-spontaneous and the total entropy of the system is decreasing.

5. Can change in entropy be reversed?

In theory, it is possible to reverse a change in entropy. However, this would require an input of energy and a highly controlled environment. In most cases, it is not practical to reverse a change in entropy, and it is more useful to understand and predict the direction of change in entropy in a given system.