1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in voltage due to additional source

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A voltage source connected to a circuit produces a voltage V, current I and has internal resistance R. What is the new voltage if an identical voltage source is added to the original:

a) in parallel
    b) in series

2. Relevant equations

V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

a. For a voltage source in parallel, the equivalent resistance is R/2. Each source provides a current I so the total current is I+I=2I. Therefore the new voltage is V_n=(2I)(R/2)=IR=V unchanged

b. The equivalent resistance is 2R and the current is I because they are in series, so the new voltage is V_n=I(2R)=2V doubled.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you have any further questions?

4. Dec 31, 2014 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What is the effect of the circuit to which the voltage supplies are connected? Presumably the voltage mentioned is meant to be the voltage across that load?

Fig1.gif

When you connect an identical source in parallel with the first, I agree that the effective internal resistance is halved while the effective cell voltage remains the same. But how will that effect the voltage V that is measured across the load resistance?

5. Jan 1, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The original question is badly worded. I suppose you had better assume the load is resistive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted