Change of Basis For Pauli Matrix From Z Diagonal to X Diagonal Basis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bohrpiphi
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I want to find a matrix such that it takes a spin z ket in the z basis,

[itex]| \; S_z + >_z[/itex]

and operates on it, giving me a spin z ket in the x basis,

[itex]U \; | \; S_z + >_z = | \; S_z + >_x[/itex]

I would have thought that I could find this transformation operator matrix simply by using the following argument:

[itex]U \; | \; S_z >_z = | \; S_z >_x[/itex]

[itex]_z< S_z \; | U \; | \; S_z >_z = _z< S_z \; | \; S_z >_x[/itex]

Therefore, elements of U are given by the inner product [itex]_z< S_z \; | \; S_z >_x[/itex]

However, to compute the inner product [itex]_z< S_z \; | \; S_z >_x[/itex] , I need to know [itex]| \; S_z >_x[/itex], which is exactly what I am trying to find.

Where is my misunderstanding?

I have shown that the matrix given by the inner products [itex]_z< S_z \; | \; S_x >_z[/itex] gives the matrix:

[itex]\begin{matrix} 1/\sqrt{2} & 1/\sqrt{2} \\ 1/\sqrt{2} & -1/\sqrt{2} \end{matrix}[/itex],

which cannot be correct, since [itex]_z< S_z \; | \; S_x >_z \neq _z< S_z \; | \; S_z >_x[/itex].

However, starting in the x basis and calculating [itex]| \; S_z >_x[/itex] shows that the above matrix works. I imagine this is not a coincidence, but it seems to be implying that [itex]| \; S_z >_x = | \; S_x + >_z[/itex].

This is not a homework question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I also just realized that this should have been posted in the Advanced Homework section.