Change of independent variables

In summary, the change of independent variables from x to theta can be solved using the inverse chain rule. The equation (1-x^2)\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} - 2x\frac{dy}{dx} + 2y = 0 becomes \frac{d^2y}{d\theta ^2}+ cot(\theta) \frac{dy}{d\theta} + 2y = 0 when substituting -sin(\theta) d\theta for dx and using the inverse chain rule. The coefficient of cot(theta) is just cot and not 2cot.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] Change of independent variables

Homework Statement

x = cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
Show
[tex](1-x^2)\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} - 2x\frac{dy}{dx} + 2y = 0[/tex]
becomes
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{d\theta ^2}+ cot(\theta) \frac{dy}{d\theta} + 2y = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dx = -sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) d[tex]\theta[/tex]
As a total stab in the dark I've tried substituting -sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) d[tex]\theta[/tex] in for dx, but that didn't seem to work... and I don't think that is mathematically correct to begin with. How do I get the relationship between dy/dx and dy/dtheta? if y were given I think it would be a lot easier

Physics news on Phys.org
Use this (let me call it "inverse chain rule")

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{d\theta} \frac{d\theta}{dx}[/tex]
where you can explicitly calculate the latter factor from the equation you wrote under (3).

Once you have that, you can do the same trick again:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dx} = \left( \frac{d}{d\theta} \frac{dy}{dx} \right) \frac{d\theta}{dx}[/tex]

Last edited:
Did you leave out a factor of 2 for the coefficient of cot (theta) in the answer?

Should it be [tex]\frac{d^2y}{d\theta ^2}+ 2cot(\theta) \frac{dy}{d\theta} + 2y = 0[/tex] ?

Hey guys thanks for your replies, I'm trying it out right now.
Defennder: Nope, it's just cot

Got it, thanks

Last edited:

1. What are independent variables?

Independent variables are factors or conditions that are manipulated or controlled in an experiment by the researcher. They are not affected by other variables and are used to determine the effect on the dependent variable.

2. How do you change independent variables in an experiment?

Independent variables can be changed by varying the levels or values of the variable. This can be done by altering the conditions or factors that are being manipulated by the researcher.

3. What is the purpose of changing independent variables in an experiment?

The purpose of changing independent variables is to determine their effect on the dependent variable. By manipulating the independent variable, the researcher can observe and measure the resulting changes in the dependent variable.

4. What is the difference between an independent variable and a dependent variable?

The independent variable is the factor that is manipulated or controlled by the researcher, while the dependent variable is the factor that is being measured or observed and is affected by the independent variable.

5. How do you determine the appropriate independent variables to use in an experiment?

The appropriate independent variables to use in an experiment depend on the research question or hypothesis being tested. They should be chosen based on their potential to affect the dependent variable and their relevance to the research topic.