1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variable in electrostatic potential energy.

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello everyone i have a problem in visualizing why a a change of variable happens. To evaluate a volume integral. I hope that someone could give me a hint of the reasoning that makes you think in that specific change of variable.

2. Relevant equations

See the attachment for this part, or the image link.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that it was changing from cartesian coordinates to spherical, but that was not right, so now i have a problem because i dont know how is the reasoning that lead you to think in that change of variable.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5585/equations.jpg [Broken]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Many people here (including myself) will not open .doc files since they are known to easily hide viruses.

You'll have an easier time getting assistance if you type out the equations usins [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] or post a link to an image file (you can host them for free at imageshack.us) instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook