Method of Images, combination of an infinite plane and a hemisphere

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem in spherical polar coordinates and finding the surface charge on a curved and flat part. The equation for the flat part is a definition and has an epsilon_zero term. The total induced charge on the conducting surface is not known and would need to be calculated.
milkism
Homework Statement
Find the surface density on the conducting surface in terms of potential either in cartesian coordinates or spherical.
Relevant Equations
See solution.
Problem:

fdbe63ebb80b0df9684216216c3a3d78.png

I have done part a) in spherical polar coordinates.
For part b) I thought it would be just:
$$\sigma = -\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial V}{\partial r}$$
But I got confused by "You may want to use different coordinate systems .." So I assume partial derivative w.r.t to r is the spherical part, what would the cartesian part be? I assume for the cartesian part it would be the partial derivative with respect to z, but in my solution for part a) I don't have a z-component, do I have to find the potential in Cartesian coordinates also?

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
is there an expression for gradient in spherical coordinates on the back cover of Griffiths?

I’d evaluate the gradient of the expression from part a) generally and then set

##\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}##

And of course take the dot product with z-hat

There’s an expression on the back cover of Griffiths for z-hat in spherical basis as well.

PhDeezNutz said:
is there an expression for gradient in spherical coordinates on the back cover of Griffiths?

I’d evaluate the gradient of the expression from part a) generally and then set

##\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}##

And of course take the dot product with z-hat

There’s an expression on the back cover of Griffiths for z-hat in spherical basis as well.
So basically $$z=r\cos(\theta)$$. I put that in my potential in spherical coordinates then
$$\sigma = -\epsilon_0 \left( \frac{\partial V}{\partial r} \cdot \frac{\partial V}{\partial z} \right)$$
?

The gradient is always perpendicular to the equipotential. So you’re going to have to break this problem into two parts. Finding the surface charge on the curved part and then the flat part. Do them separately.

1) for the curved part ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}## will do just fine

2) for the flat part you’re going to have to get more general ##\sigma = - \nabla V \cdot \hat{z}##.

When you evaluate ##\nabla V## you’ll get something in spherical basis (the second expression)

FFF35B94-8A26-49BE-AE4E-AA437BBA6F64.jpeg

We have to express ##\hat{z}## in spherical basis
89AED7F6-63F3-4348-896B-B7421EE687CC.jpeg

Evaluate the dot product generally then plug in theta is pi/2.

• Care
Likes milkism
PhDeezNutz said:
The gradient is always perpendicular to the equipotential. So you’re going to have to break this problem into two parts. Finding the surface charge on the curved part and then the flat part. Do them separately.

1) for the curved part ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}## will do just fine

2) for the flat part you’re going to have to get more general ##\sigma = - \nabla V \cdot \hat{z}##.

When you evaluate ##\nabla V## you’ll get something in spherical basis (the second expression)

View attachment 325229

We have to express ##\hat{z}## in spherical basis
View attachment 325231

Evaluate the dot product generally then plug in theta is pi/2.
How did you come up with the equation for the flat part? I have never seen it, and shouldn't there also be an epsilon_zero?

I didn’t come up with it. It’s a definition.

The “normal derivative” literally means “directional derivative in the direction of the normal”. Directional derivative is defined by the dot product of the gradient with the direction unit vector of interest”. For the flat part the direction of interest is z-hat (because that is the normal).

And of course there should be a ##-\epsilon_0## in front. I was being lazy.

• Care
Likes milkism
PhDeezNutz said:

The “normal derivative” literally means “directional derivative in the direction of the normal”. Directional derivative is defined by the dot product of the gradient with the direction unit vector of interest”. For the flat part the direction of interest is z-hat (because that is the normal).

Thanks! 😘:kiss:

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz
PhDeezNutz said:

Last question should the total induced charge on the conducting surface be -q, or $$q' = \frac{-qR}{d}$$? If it was just a flat surface it would have been -q, if it was just a sphere it would have been the latter.

milkism said:
Last question should the total induced charge on the conducting surface be -q, or $$q' = \frac{-qR}{d}$$? If it was just a flat surface it would have been -q, if it was just a sphere it would have been the latter.

I’m not sure. I’d have to work it out.

At the very least it’s not going to be q.

PhDeezNutz said:
I’m not sure. I’d have to work it out.

At the very least it’s not going to be q.
Well, question asked to find the charge without doing any calculation, because we didn't have to calculate the surface charge density either (we just had to give an expression), I only know that it will be a negative charge haha

Last edited:
milkism said:
question asked to find the charge without doing any calculation
I assume that in the first part you came up with three point charges to represent the induced charge distribution. Is the total induced charge simply their sum?

Btw, I note the text of the question says q is at d from the spherical surface, but your diagram has it at d from the centre of curvature.

1. How does the Method of Images work when combining an infinite plane and a hemisphere?

The Method of Images involves creating mirror images of the original objects to satisfy boundary conditions. When combining an infinite plane and a hemisphere, we introduce a mirror image of the hemisphere below the plane to account for the presence of the plane.

2. What are the benefits of using the Method of Images in this scenario?

By using the Method of Images, we can simplify the problem and apply known solutions for individual geometries. This allows us to calculate the electric potential or field more easily for complex configurations like the combination of an infinite plane and a hemisphere.

3. How do we determine the location and strength of the image charge in this setup?

The location and strength of the image charge can be determined by considering the boundary conditions at the surfaces of the objects. In the case of an infinite plane and a hemisphere, the image charge is typically placed symmetrically with respect to the original charge and adjusted to satisfy the boundary conditions.

4. Can the Method of Images be used for other combinations of geometries?

Yes, the Method of Images can be applied to various combinations of geometries to simplify the calculation of electric potentials or fields. It is a versatile technique that can be used in different scenarios to find solutions more efficiently.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Method of Images in this context?

While the Method of Images is a powerful tool for solving electrostatic problems, it may not always provide exact solutions in complex scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the method depends on how well the mirror charges approximate the behavior of the original charges.