Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables for 2nd order differential

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    Hi there, I'm having some difficulty in understanding how the change of variables by considering a retarded time frame can be obtained for this particular eqn I have.

Say I have this original equation,
    [itex]
    \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} + \beta_1 \frac{\partial A}{\partial t}+ \frac{i \beta_2}{2} \frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial t^2}+\frac{\alpha}{2} A = i \gamma |A|^2 A
    [/itex]

Considering a frame of reference moving with speed [itex]\nu_g[/itex] (i.e. group velocity), a new variable T can be defined as follows
    [itex]T=t-\frac{z}{\nu_g} = t-\beta_1 z[/itex]
    where [itex]\beta_1=\frac{1}{\nu_g}[/itex]

Apparently, the differential equation can be reduced to
    [itex]
    \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} -\frac{i \beta_2}{2} \frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial T^2}+\frac{\alpha}{2} A = i \gamma |A|^2 A
    [/itex]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From my understanding, the first order differential term [itex]\beta_1 \frac{\partial A}{\partial t} [/itex] disappears because
    [itex]
    \frac{\partial A}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial A}{\partial T} \times \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}
    [/itex]

Since
    [itex]
    T =t-\frac{z}{\nu_g} = t-\beta_1 z \\
    \therefore \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = 1-\frac{\partial}{\partial t} (\beta_1 z) \\
    = 1-\beta_1 \nu_g = 0 \phantom{0} (\because \beta_1=\frac{1}{\nu_g})
    [/itex]

Hence,
    [itex]
    \frac{\partial A}{\partial t} = 0
    [/itex]

However, I can't wrap my head around how to transform the second derivative [itex] \frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial t^2}[/itex]?

[itex]
    \frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{\partial A}{\partial t})
    = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\frac{\partial A}{\partial T} \times \frac{\partial T}{\partial t})
    [/itex]

Which seems to give me zero following from the above argument for the first order differential term [itex]\frac{\partial A}{\partial t}[/itex]...
    Am I missing something here? I would really appreciate if anyone could help. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

To me it seems that the change of variable (z,t) => (z,T) leads to

∂T/∂t=1

z is an independent variable and therefore

∂z/∂t=0

The wave packet represented by this equation might well have an average position.
    But don't name it "z", name it something else than the independent variable z of the wave equation.

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3
    Thanks maajdl for the quick reply. Hmm... if ∂T/∂t=1, then the first order derivative of ∂A/∂T will still exist...

Based on my understanding, z is the direction of propagation of the pulse. So the pulse travels with a group velocity [itex]\nu_g[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook