1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables in differential equation

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to transform the following equation using variables [tex](u,v,w(u,v))=(yz-x,xz-y, xy-z)[/tex]:

[tex](xy+z)\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+(1-y^2)\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=x+yz.[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    chain rule: [tex]
    \frac{dw}{dx} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial u} \frac{\partial du}{\partial dx} + \frac{\partial w}{\partial v} \frac{\partial dv}{\partial dx}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the chain rule and the product rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}(y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v})-\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+z\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}[/tex]

and a similar expression for [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}[/tex].
    On the other hand

[tex]w=xy-z[/tex], so

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}=y-\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]

(and similar for [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}[/tex]), so

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}(y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v})-\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+z\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}=y-\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] and therefore:

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}+1]=y+\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}-z\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}+1]=x+\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}-z\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}.[/tex]

After multiplying the given equation by

[tex][y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}+1][/tex]

and writing

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}+1][/tex] as [tex]y+\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}-z\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}[/tex] I get

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}(1-x^2-y^2-z^2-2xyz)=0.[/tex]

If
    [tex][y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}+1]\neq 0[/tex]

this equation is equivalent to the given one. But what if [tex][y\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}+x\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}+1]=0[/tex]?.

I'm kind of stuck at this point, cause in the first case

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}=0[/tex] or [tex](1-x^2-y^2-z^2-2xyz)=0[/tex].

I was thinking of a way to change [tex](x,y,z)[/tex] to [tex](u,v,w)[/tex] in the last equation, but without success. I also have no idea what to do in the second case. So what should I do now? Is this a correct method to solve a problem like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2
    I've found the answer to this problem in a book by B.P. Demidowich - it says
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial w}{\partial v}=0
    [/tex]
    So this means that I need a proof that
    [tex]
    (1-x^2-y^2-z^2-2xyz)\neq 0
    [/tex], or do I still miss something?

[tex]
    (1-x^2-y^2-z^2-2xyz)=(xy+z)z+(1-y^2)(-1)+x(x+yz)
    [/tex]
    looks similar to
    [tex]
    (xy+z)\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+(1-y^2)\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=x+yz.
    [/tex] but I don't have other ideas.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook