Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Change of variables/total differential derivation

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://gyazo.com/e7dc83f3f93d01391663d02bf92c0b26

2. Relevant equations

I am trying to derive equation 6 from 5 using 1, but I haven't got anywhere. This isn't a homework question, just an information sheet. Can someone show me the steps (no jumps please) on obtaining equation 6. After that, for practice I will attempt df/dv

Thanks
    :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's pretty basic.

Group the terms in (5):
    First distribute [itex]\displaystyle \left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right|_y\text{ and }\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right|_x\ .[/itex]θ

Then factor out du & dv .

[itex]\displaystyle df=\left(
    \left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right|_y \left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}\right|_v
    +\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right|_x \left.\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}\right|_v
    \right)du +\left(
    \left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right|_y \left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\right|_u
    +\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right|_x \left.\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\right|_u
    \right)dv
    [/itex]

Attached Files:

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    I can easily get to the second equation
    [itex]\displaystyle df=\left(
    \left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right|_y \left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}\right|_v
    +\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right|_x \left.\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}\right|_v
    \right)du +\left(
    \left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right|_y \left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\right|_u
    +\left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right|_x \left.\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\right|_u
    \right)dv
    [/itex]

but how does that become equation 6? We've gone from 4 terms to 6 and remove dv and du

Thanks

5. Apr 3, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All that equation 6 gives is the coefficient of du.

The coefficient of dv is similar.

Compare equation 1 with [itex]\displaystyle df=\left(
    \right)du +\left(
    \right)dv\ .[/itex]

6. Apr 4, 2012 #5
    Awesome. I see :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook