1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation: rates of change

1. Aug 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. The combined electrical resistance R of two resistors connected in parallel is ## R = \frac{R1R2}{R1+R2}##, where R, R1 and R2 are measured in ohm. R1 and R2 are increasing at rates of 1 and 1,5 ohm per second respectively. Find the rate of change of R when R1 = 50 ohm and R2 = 75 ohm.

2. Differentiation: rates of change.

3. See attached..

So I'm not sure what the derivative of R1 and R2 would be unless I put in their values of 50 and 75 ohm but then the derivative would be 0? Is it possible to rearrange the given equation?

Attached Files:

• 2.2.pdf
      2.2.pdf
      File size:
      775.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to calculate the partials
    [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial R_1} \left( \frac{R_1 R_2}{R_1 + R_2}\right) \; \;\text{and} \;\; \frac{\partial}{\partial R_2}\left( \frac{R_1 R_2}{R_1 + R_2}\right) [/tex]
    as well as ##d R_1 / dt## and ##d R_2 / dt##.

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3
    How do I calculate the partials? Do I put in the value of R1 when doing ##\frac{\partial}{\partial R1}## ##(\frac{R1R2}{R1+R2})## and same for R2?
    ##\frac{dR1}{dt}## = +1ohm and ##\frac{dR2}{dt}## = +1.5ohm

5. Aug 13, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. R1 and R2 are variables (functions of t). It is only at a particular moment that they have the values below. When you take the partial with respect to one of the variables, you treat the other variable as if it were a constant.

6. Aug 14, 2015 #5
    I don't follow. Could you show me the partial for R1?

7. Aug 14, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How do I calculate the partials? Do I put in the value of R1 when doing ##\frac{\partial}{\partial R1}## ##(\frac{R1R2}{R1+R2})## and same for R2?
    Finding the partial with respect to R1, you treat R2 as if it were a constant. How would you find this ordinary derivative?

$$\frac{d}{dx} (\frac{kx}{x+k})$$

8. Aug 14, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you saying you do not know how to find the derivative
    [tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{75 x}{75+x} \right) \; ? [/tex]

9. Aug 16, 2015 #8
    Final answer attached. Thanks to all who helped.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted