Changes in volume of a liquid affects?

In summary, the number of moles of a solid dissolved in a liquid does not change when the liquid is poured into another container. However, the concentration may appear to change as the same amount of solid is now in a smaller volume. This is due to the concept of molarity, which is the number of moles per liter of solution.
Saado
I have say a 250cm3 liquid with a solid dissolved inside filled in a container. If I pour 50cm^3 of that liquid in another container, would the number of moles of the solid inside the 50cm^3 container be different to the number of moles in the original 250cm^3 container?

I've been told the number of moles stays the same but to me, it makes sense to say that the moles have decreased because the number of particles of the dissolved solid has decreased. It would make sense to say that the concentration has stayed the same (the same amount of solid in a given volume).

So which of the 2 values changes? The number of moles or the concentration?

Physics news on Phys.org
50 mls contains 1/5 of the number of moles. Perhaps you are thinking of molarity?

From wikipedia: The concentration of a solution is commonly expressed by its molarity, defined as the number of moles of the dissolved substance per litre of solution.

What you think is correct.

What is the volume of a liquid?

The volume of a liquid is the amount of space it occupies. It is often measured in units of milliliters (mL) or liters (L).

How do changes in volume of a liquid affect its density?

Changes in volume of a liquid can affect its density because density is directly proportional to volume. This means that as the volume decreases, the density increases, and vice versa.

What factors can cause changes in volume of a liquid?

Changes in temperature, pressure, and composition can all cause changes in the volume of a liquid. For example, heating a liquid will cause it to expand and increase in volume.

How does the volume of a liquid affect its behavior?

The volume of a liquid can affect its behavior in many ways. A larger volume may make it more difficult to pour or contain, while a smaller volume may make it easier to evaporate. Additionally, changes in volume can also affect the liquid's density and viscosity.

What are some practical applications of understanding changes in volume of a liquid?

Understanding changes in volume of a liquid is important for many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It can help in accurately measuring and dispensing liquids, as well as understanding how they interact with other substances. It also plays a role in many everyday tasks, such as cooking and filling containers.