1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changes to electric field between two parallel plates

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric field intensity at a point between two large parallel plates is 4.8 x 10^2 N/C.
    What does the electric field become as a result of each of the following changes, considered separately:

a) when the amount of charge on each plate is tripled
    b) when the plates are connected together by a conducting wire

for a, i think the electric field intensity would be tripled as well? i don't know which equation to look at to find the answer -- ε = kQ/r^2 doesn't seem right because there are two charges, one on each plate, and ε = V/d doesn't work because d doesn't come into play. i don't even have a guess for b). any explanation anyone could provide would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

a)How can you obtain the electric field given a highly symmetrical charge configuration?
    b)What do you expect to happen when there is potential difference across a conducting wire?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?