Changing Base with Logs: How to Convert Expressions Using Base 14?

In summary, the conversation discusses converting an expression with a base 9 log to a base 14 log. The simplified expression is equal to $9^5$.
Teh
Convert the Following expression to the indicated base, using base 14 for a > 0 & a \ne 1.\(\displaystyle {a}^{\frac{5}{log}_{9{}^{a}}}\)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Teh. I've shortened up the title of your thread.

Did you intend

$a^{5/\log_9a}$

?

Why did you post this in trigonometry?

greg1313 said:
Hi Teh. I've shortened up the title of your thread.

Did you intend

$a^{5/\log_9a}$

?

Why did you post this in trigonometry?
THIS IS WHAT I MEANT! THANKS! though it was trig problem because in class my professor was going over trig...sorry if it was not [/QUOTE]

I'm still not clear on what's intended. Are we to convert the base 9 log to a base 14 log? If not, what is the "indicated base"?

greg1313 said:
I'm still not clear on what's intended. Are we to convert the base 9 log to a base 14 log? If not, what is the "indicated base"?

same also I don't know what is is asking for I ask my professor all he gave me was log{}_{b}{x}^{} = \frac{lnx}{lnb}

Teh said:
same also I don't know what is is asking for I ask my professor all he gave me was $\log_{b}{x} = \frac{\ln x}{\ln b}$

Okay, so let's substitute that:
$$a^{\frac 5 {\log_9 a}} = a^{\frac 5 {\frac{\ln a}{\ln 9}}}
=a^{\frac {5\ln 9} {\ln a}}
$$
Now let's take the logarithm of all of that and see where it brings us:
$$\ln \left(a^{\frac 5 {\log_9 a}}\right)
=\ln\left(a^{\frac {5\ln 9} {\ln a}}\right)
=\frac {5\ln 9} {\ln a} \ln(a)
= 5\ln 9
= \ln \left(9^5\right)
$$

Hey! That means that:
$$a^{\frac 5 {\log_9 a}} = 9^5$$
And that's even without referring to $\log_{14}$. (Cool)
Note that we could have used $\log_{14}$ everywhere instead of $\ln$. The result is the same.

Related to Changing Base with Logs: How to Convert Expressions Using Base 14?

What is "change of base" with logs?

"Change of base" with logs refers to the process of rewriting a logarithm with a different base. This is often done to simplify calculations or to solve equations.

Why would you need to change the base of a logarithm?

Changing the base of a logarithm can make it easier to solve equations or perform calculations. It can also help to compare logarithms with different bases.

How do you change the base of a logarithm?

To change the base of a logarithm, you can use the change of base formula: logb(x) = loga(x) / loga(b). This formula allows you to rewrite a logarithm with base b in terms of a logarithm with base a.

Can you change the base of any logarithm?

Yes, you can change the base of any logarithm using the change of base formula. However, some bases may be more convenient to work with depending on the problem you are trying to solve.

Are there any limitations to changing the base of a logarithm?

The only limitation is that the base of the logarithm cannot be zero or negative. This is because the logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers.