1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing bounds of integration.

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem given:

niQjZ.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I need an x^2 in there to do the inner integral. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how the bounds are defined. X goes from 1 to y/2 and y goes from 0 to 2. So does that mean x goes from 1 to 2x?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Draw a sketch of the region you're integrating over in the xy plane.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    I did that but I'm unsure if its right.

It should just look like a triangle from my drawing. Y going from 0 to 2 and x going from 2x to 1

So then the changed order should be

y going from 0 to 2x and x going from 0 to 1?

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, but you're saying it in kind of a confusing way. When you say "x going from 2x to 1," you're using "x" to mean two different things. It would be better to say x goes from y/2 to 1.

Yes, that's right. The triangle is bounded on two sides by the x-axis and the line x=1. The third side is the line y=2x or, equivalently, x=y/2. The first form is useful when you integrate with respect to y first; the second form is useful when you integrate with respect to x first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook