Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing cartesian integral to polar integral

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Change the Cartesian integral to the equivalent polar integral and evaluate:

Integral of (x dx dy), limits of integration are from 0 <= y <= 6, 0 <= x <= y.

---------------

I don't need help as much in evaluating the integral as just setting it up right. To change this to a polar integral do I change the integrand to [r^2 * cos(theta) dr d(theta)]? I'm not sure how exactly to change the limits of integration.

For the x limits, I see that the top limit is x = y, and if I substitute I get r cos(theta) = r sin(theta), which simplifies to theta = pi/4. So I thought this integral should have limits of 0 <= theta <= pi/4.

For y I'm more not sure, I tried the same approach as above. Since the top limit is y = 6, I thought of substituting to get r sin(theta) = 6, and simplifying to r = 6/sin(theta). So I thought the limits on r would be 0 <= r <= 6/sin(theta)

Well I solved the integral with what I tried figuring out above and got -18, while the correct answer is 36. Which parts did I do wrong? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok you have one theta limit, but what about the other one?

When you have x = 0, and y = anything, you have theta = pi/2, not theta = 0.

It might help if you carefully draw out your region of integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?