1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing my major from marketing to physics

1. Feb 26, 2015 #1
    I'm currently in my junior year of college at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (yes, the one without the football program) majoring in marketing. I decided on marketing because it was easy, and I just wanted to get through school. Having been in business courses for around 3 years now, I have realized that business is not for me, I do not find the material interesting, stimulating, or, quite frankly, useful. I miss being challenged. Marketing is also a field notorious for leaving many with degrees in it unemployed or waiting tables. I have gained a new perspective on education and have realized that it's so much more than just a ticket to make a bunch of money.

I was always good at math in school, and I always enjoyed doing the work. I had some bad science teachers growing up, so I was never too interested in science in school; however, since being out of high school, I have taken a huge interest in science, and I spend almost all my free time reading science books, listening to science podcasts, or watching science videos. The research I've done on physics has gotten me truly excited -- a feeling I haven't had regarding an academic subject since my first college math course.

I have recently just made the decision to change my major to physics. While being excited about this switch, I am, as you can imagine, pretty nervous. This has set my schooling back 2 or 3 years. I have all of my core requirements done, so I will have to take electives to remain a full-time student. For example, this fall I will be taking Calculus I, General Chemistry I + Lab, and an elective (Astronomy?). Do you guys have any advice you can give me regarding anything from electives to study tips to telling me how dumb of a decision I made?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have asked for this to be moved to academic guidance section

4. Feb 26, 2015 #3
    My apologies! I did not see that section.

5. Feb 26, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no probs :)

welcome to PF

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook