1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing polar equations to rectangular equations?

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    changing polar equations to rectangular equations????

Can somebody please explain to me, how I would convert:

?=?/2 into a rectangular equation?

Along with: r=sin?, r=6cos+sin?, r(squared)sin2?=2

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ask in the home-work section, not here.

This thread will be moved, so don't make a new one.
  4. Apr 18, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately your "special characters" just show up as "?" to me. I would guess that the ? in the last three are "theta": [itex]\theta[/itex] in LaTex, but I have no idea what the "?" in ?= ?/2 are- I presume they are different or the equation is trivial.

I presume that you know (or else you wouldn't be attempting these problems) that [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex]. Looking at the first one, my thought would be to multiply both sides by r: [itex]r^2= r sin(\theta)[/itex] which, since [itex]r^2= r^2(cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta)= x^2+ y^2[/itex], is just [itex]x^2+ y^2= y[/itex], the equation of a circle.

For [itex]r= 6cos(\theta)+ sin(theta)[/itex], same thing: multiply both sides by r to get [itex]r^2= 6r cos(\theta)+ r sin(\theta)= x^2+ y^2= 6x+ y[/itex], again the equation of a circle.

For [itex]r^2 sin(2\theta)= 2[/itex], use the fact that [itex]sin(2\theta)= 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?