1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing the basis of Pauli spin matrices

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the matrix representation of [itex]S_z[/itex] in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis for spin [itex]1/2[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I have the Pauli matrices, and I also have the respective kets derived in each basis. There aren't really any relevant equations, other than the eigenvalue equations for the operators.

3. The attempt at a solution

In the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis, the [itex]S_x[/itex] operator is just

[tex]
    \frac{\hbar}{2}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0\\
    0 & -1
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

So isn't the [itex]S_z[/itex] operator in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis just equal to the [itex]S_x[/itex] operator in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis? That is,

[tex]
    S_z=
    \frac{\hbar}{2}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0 & 1\\
    1 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis? If so, I don't really understand how to show this in any meaningful way... I've also tried solving the eigenvalue equations for [itex]S_z[/itex] and converting the kets to the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis but that just lead me in circles. I can see that the question is a very basic one but something is just not letting me get a satisfactory answer. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2
    After some thought, I've considered that maybe I can just use the vector representation of [itex]S_z[/itex] kets in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis. That is,

[tex]
    |+>_x
    \doteq
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1\\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis, and the same for the spin down ket, so I can just plug these vector representations into the eigenvalue equation and solve for the [itex]S_z[/itex] matrix. This will indeed give me the matrix which I asked about above (namely, the same as the [itex]S_x[/itex] the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis). I'm going to assume this is correct unless anyone tells me otherwise!

4. Jul 27, 2014 #3
    Phruizler - to find the required matrix, you just have to find the four matrix elements involving the eigenvectors of [itex]S_x[/itex].

That is, you need to find [itex]\langle x,\pm \lvert S_z \lvert x,\pm \rangle[/itex].

5. Jul 29, 2014 #4
    Thanks! This yields the answer I got doing it the above way but is much more satisfying. I didn't even think of solving the matrix elements individually like that for some reason. Quantum mechanical problem solving simply doesn't adhere to the same intuition as other problems in physics. I can tell it will be a while before I will have useful insight into even some of the easier problems!

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted