Changing the basis of Pauli spin matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix representation of S_z in the S_x basis for spin 1/2. After considering different approaches, it is concluded that the matrix can be found by solving for the four matrix elements involving the eigenvectors of S_x. This approach is more satisfying and highlights the unique problem-solving methods used in quantum mechanics.
Phruizler

Homework Statement

Find the matrix representation of [itex]S_z[/itex] in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis for spin [itex]1/2[/itex].

Homework Equations

I have the Pauli matrices, and I also have the respective kets derived in each basis. There aren't really any relevant equations, other than the eigenvalue equations for the operators.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis, the [itex]S_x[/itex] operator is just

[tex]
\frac{\hbar}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

So isn't the [itex]S_z[/itex] operator in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis just equal to the [itex]S_x[/itex] operator in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis? That is,

[tex]
S_z=
\frac{\hbar}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1\\
1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis? If so, I don't really understand how to show this in any meaningful way... I've also tried solving the eigenvalue equations for [itex]S_z[/itex] and converting the kets to the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis but that just lead me in circles. I can see that the question is a very basic one but something is just not letting me get a satisfactory answer. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
After some thought, I've considered that maybe I can just use the vector representation of [itex]S_z[/itex] kets in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis. That is,

[tex]
|+>_x
\doteq
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

in the [itex]S_x[/itex] basis, and the same for the spin down ket, so I can just plug these vector representations into the eigenvalue equation and solve for the [itex]S_z[/itex] matrix. This will indeed give me the matrix which I asked about above (namely, the same as the [itex]S_x[/itex] the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis). I'm going to assume this is correct unless anyone tells me otherwise!

Phruizler - to find the required matrix, you just have to find the four matrix elements involving the eigenvectors of [itex]S_x[/itex].

That is, you need to find [itex]\langle x,\pm \lvert S_z \lvert x,\pm \rangle[/itex].

Thanks! This yields the answer I got doing it the above way but is much more satisfying. I didn't even think of solving the matrix elements individually like that for some reason. Quantum mechanical problem solving simply doesn't adhere to the same intuition as other problems in physics. I can tell it will be a while before I will have useful insight into even some of the easier problems!

Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution. Your understanding is correct, in the S_x basis, the S_z operator is equivalent to the S_x operator in the S_z basis. This is because the Pauli spin matrices are Hermitian, meaning they are equal to their own conjugate transpose. As a result, their matrix representations in different bases will be equivalent to each other.

To show this in a more meaningful way, you can use the transformation matrix between the S_x and S_z bases, which can be derived from the respective kets you mentioned. This transformation matrix will allow you to convert the S_x operator in the S_z basis to the S_x basis, and vice versa. You can then compare this transformed S_x operator to the S_z operator in the S_x basis to see that they are indeed equivalent.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Keep up the good work in your studies as a scientist!

1. What are Pauli spin matrices?

Pauli spin matrices are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of a particle. They are denoted by σx, σy, and σz, and have dimensions of 2x2.

2. How are the basis of Pauli spin matrices changed?

The basis of Pauli spin matrices can be changed by applying a unitary transformation to the original matrices. This can be done by multiplying the original matrices with a unitary matrix, which will result in new matrices with a different basis.

3. Why would one want to change the basis of Pauli spin matrices?

Changing the basis of Pauli spin matrices can simplify calculations and make it easier to describe the spin of a particle in a particular direction. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the spin properties of a particle.

4. Can the basis of Pauli spin matrices be changed to any basis?

Yes, the basis of Pauli spin matrices can be changed to any desired basis as long as the transformation is unitary. This means that the determinant of the transformation matrix must be 1, and the inverse of the transformation matrix must be equal to its adjoint.

5. Are there any applications of changing the basis of Pauli spin matrices?

Yes, changing the basis of Pauli spin matrices has many applications in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of spin properties of particles. It is also used in quantum computing and quantum information processing, where the manipulation of spin states is crucial for performing calculations and storing information.