Changing the focal plane of a video projection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of dividing a video projection beam horizontally into two separate beams with different focus planes. The resolution of the original beam is low, and using a 45 degree mirror or two separate projectors are suggested as potential solutions. However, the individual explains that these options are not feasible due to cost and added weight and dimensions. Instead, they propose using pico projectors with a 30mm aperture beam and 1.2 throw ratio. The expert suggests providing more details or relevant links to better understand the problem at hand. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the individual stating that they have written a detailed description of their project and can share it if needed.
wosoka
A bit of unsual scenario, I need to divide a video projection beam horizontally into two. Since the splitted beams in my diagram are treated as a separate beam they have to have their focus plane changed. Is that possible to do and how would one do it?

http://image.ibb.co/jAu9x7/9241421.jpg

If this helps the resolution of the original beam is pretty low by todays standards, 856x480 pixels.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be hard to get into the internal optics of the projector but you could replace that 45° mirror with a curved mirror. However, the overlap between the two regions on the split image would be fuzzy. OK if you can do with an omitted part between the two images.
A large non-plane mirror could be hard to get hold of. Why not just use two video projectors, one with the left part of the image and the other with the right part?
More details of the actual setup could hep get a good answer to this.

you can ignore the 45 degree mirror, it is irrelevant for the issue at hand

I don't want to describe the whole project with a wall of text just to ask a single question, but I can say that obviously the easiest solution would be to use two separate projectors if that was an option but sadly isn't

If you can't afford two projectors then I would say you definitely can't afford of the sort of optics to do the job with just one.
An alternative approach could to be to use two large flat screens in different places. That could be cheaper still and large screens are always useful to have, once you have bough them.
Or. . . could the projector be positioned strategically, at equal distances from both screens, with a bit of adjustment of the actual screen positions?

It's not about not being able to afford projectors. The near-eye foveated screen project I am working on is complicated, it would take over 1000 words to describe it (which I know because I have it written down and can copy paste here), but do you really want that? Bottom lines is two projectors or flat screens won't work, if they could I wouldn't be wasting my time and complicating things.

wosoka said:
It's not about not being able to afford projectors. The near-eye foveated screen project I am working on is complicated, it would take over 1000 words to describe it (which I know because I have it written down and can copy paste here), but do you really want that? Bottom lines is two projectors or flat screens won't work, if they could I wouldn't be wasting my time and complicating things.
A link to a 1000 word page would be quite in order on PF. People here tend to like information and background detail.

Oh... give some time to generate a PDF with illustrations then

wosoka said:
Oh... give some time to generate a PDF with illustrations then
Or some relevant links would do. From what I can see, we could be talking in terms of small, rather than large? That could make things different.

Yup, pico projectors with a 30mm aprture beam and 1.2 throw ratio

wosoka said:
Yup, pico projectors with a 30mm aprture beam and 1.2 throw ratio
That's good to know. So what else do we need to know?

I think that's all, really. Two projectors are not suitable becaue of the extra weight and dimensions they would add and would be a waste of doulb the illuminating LEDs, DLP chips and projection optics.

What is the process for changing the focal plane of a video projection?

The process for changing the focal plane of a video projection involves adjusting the position of the projection lens and the distance between the projector and the projection surface. This changes the angle at which the light hits the surface, thus altering the focus of the image.

Why would someone want to change the focal plane of a video projection?

Changing the focal plane is necessary when projecting onto curved or uneven surfaces, or when using multiple projectors to create a larger image. It can also be used to create special effects or to enhance the visual experience for the audience.

What are the challenges of changing the focal plane of a video projection?

The main challenge is achieving a consistent and clear focus across the entire projected image. This requires precise adjustments and may require the use of specialized equipment, such as lens shifters or keystone correction.

Can the focal plane be changed during a live projection?

Yes, the focal plane can be adjusted during a live projection, but it requires careful planning and coordination. Any changes made to the focal plane may also affect the overall brightness and quality of the image, so adjustments must be made carefully to avoid disrupting the viewing experience.

Are there any software or tools that can assist with changing the focal plane of a video projection?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can assist with changing the focal plane of a video projection. These include projection mapping software, lens calculators, and keystone correction tools. However, it is important to note that these tools are meant to aid in the process and may not always provide a perfect solution.