Chapter 7 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics

In summary, the conversation is about the struggles of studying chapter 7 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, the importance of coffee for staying awake, and the tragedy of not having enough emergency coffee during a cold winter in Pittsburgh.
Rach3
Chapter 7 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics

Well I've been up for a few hours, and here I am at night, midway through swimming the brisk cold English channel that is chapter 7 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics (my first problem set is due Wednesday - six problems), and... well, just look at this despondent, sepia-toned picture!

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9864/dscn0104rb4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is it?

Gokul43201 said:
What is it?

Oops, I didn't think it would be that bad... :uhh: (highlight to read):
it's a bag of coffee

Or look at the same object photographed with flash and reasonable exposure time:
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2308/dscn0103fl4.jpg

I'll tell you what's a tragedy. You live in Pittsburgh and you didn't know who Ben Roethlisberger was until he fell off a bike!

I didn't live in Pittsburgh before Ben Roethlisberger fell of his bike...

Then again, I've forgotten who he is anyway.

I always have a jar of instant coffee on hand, just in case. Like tonight for instance, studying for a Social Studies exam... arrrggh, definitely my least favourite subject. If it was not for coffee I would be sleeping without a doubt.

Help me I'm falling sleep!

I'm too dizzy to remember which one's E and which one's B. :zzz:

Okay, I'm coming to. I'm awake, I can follow along just fine, it's just that these darn evanescent waves keep oscillating. I can't make them stop! Back and forth, back and forth... so sleepy...

Rach3 said:
Oops, I didn't think it would be that bad... :uhh:

(highlight to read):
it's a bag of coffee

Or look at the same object photographed with flash and reasonable exposure time:
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2308/dscn0103fl4.jpg

Oh no! The horror! It's winter in Pittsburgh...you should have more adequate emergency supplies...what good is stocking up bottled water if there's no coffee to add to it?!

1. What is the main concept of Chapter 7 in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

Chapter 7 focuses on the theory of magnetostatics, which is the study of electric charges that are not in motion but have a steady flow of current.

2. Why is magnetostatics important in the study of classical electromagnetism?

Magnetostatics helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and currents in a steady state, which is essential for understanding the fundamental principles of electromagnetism.

3. What are some key topics covered in Chapter 7?

Some key topics covered in Chapter 7 include the Biot-Savart Law, Ampere's Law, and the concept of magnetic vector potential.

4. How does Chapter 7 relate to other chapters in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

Chapter 7 builds upon the concepts and equations introduced in previous chapters, particularly Chapter 5 which covers electrostatics. It also lays the foundation for understanding electromagnetic waves in Chapter 9.

5. What are some real-world applications of the principles discussed in Chapter 7?

The principles of magnetostatics are used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators.