1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Charge and Energy for Capacitors in Different Configurations

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much energy must a 12V battery expend to fully charge a 0.15 uF and a 0.20 uF capacitor when they are (a) in parallel and (b) in series? How much charge flowed through the battery in each case?

2. Relevant equations

i: C(eq)=((1/C1)+(1/C2)+...+(1/Cn))^-1 and C(eq)=C1+C2+...+Cn
    ii: U=0.5CV^2
    iii: Q=CV

3. The attempt at a solution

I have worked it out but, I prefer not to post my answers. However, I did the following for (a) and (b):

1) Worked out the equivalent capacitance of each circuit using the appropriate equation (i)
    2) Used the result(s) of part 1 and plugged that into equation (ii) using the voltage of the battery to get U for each circuit (energy expended by the battery solved)
    3) Used the result(s) from part 1 and the given battery voltage in equation (iii) to obtain the charge for each circuit. (charge through battery solved)

So - that's essentially what I did. Was I correct in my methods? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The OP's methods are correct.

Given: ##C_1 = 0.15~μF~~~;~~~C_2 = 0.20~μF~~~;~~~U = 12~V##

##C_p = C_1 + C_2 = 0.35~μF##
    ##C_s = \frac{C_1 C_2}{C_1 + C_2} = 85.7~nF~~(8.57~×~10^-8~F)##

Then the energy expended by the battery in each case is:

##E_p = ½ C_p U^2 = 2.52~×~10^{-5}~J##
    ##E_s = ½ C_s U^2 = 6.17~×~10^{-6}~J##

and the charge moved in each case:

##Q_p = C_p U = 4.20~μC##
    ##Q_s = C_s U = 1.03~μC##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted