Charge flow in simple circuits

In summary, the homework statement is saying that if you have two batteries with different resistances connected in series, then current will not flow through the circuit.
IntegralDerivative

Homework Statement

upload_2017-5-12_12-46-12.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Top left: No charge flowing through circuit b/c switch is open, not closed.
Top right: No charge flowing through circuit b/c circuit does not connect positive and negative terminals
Bottom left: Charge flows through circuit b/c closed loop between + and - terminal.
Bottom right: No charge can flow through since negative terminal cannot be directly connected to another negative terminal.

Please let me know if these answers are correct and how I can make them better. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
IntegralDerivative said:
Bottom right: No charge can flow through since negative terminal cannot be directly connected to another negative terminal.
RIght answer for the wrong reason. It's perfectly acceptable to connect negative terminals.

Likes IntegralDerivative
phinds said:
RIght answer for the wrong reason. It's perfectly acceptable to connect negative terminals.

Thank you so much for you response phinds! :)

I don't get this. But I would say it as 2 positive terminals are making up the circuit, and they not sending any electrons through the circuit essentially. The electrons are all concentrated at the wire connecting the 2 negative terminals.

IntegralDerivative said:
I would say it as 2 positive terminals are making up the circuit
No, that is not correct. Everything you see is part of the circuit, it's just a question of whether or not current flows through the various parts (it doesn't).What is the potential on each side of the bulb?

Likes IntegralDerivative
The potential on the positive side is maximum. The potential on the negative side is 0?

IntegralDerivative said:
The potential on the positive side is maximum. The potential on the negative side is 0?
I have no idea what your reference is. what do you mean "the negative side"? I'm not asking you about the battery, I'm asking you about the bulb. Please read my question again.

Likes IntegralDerivative
Here is what I mean:

upload_2017-5-12_13-19-5.png

phinds said:
Well, then answer my question

I think the potential on each side of the bulb is maximum?

IntegralDerivative said:
I think the potential on each side of the bulb is maximum?
Yes, but it's irrelevant whether or not it is maximum, minimum, or anywhere in between. Focus on why no current flows.

Likes IntegralDerivative
phinds said:
Yes, but it's irrelevant whether or not it is maximum, minimum, or anywhere in between. Focus on why no current flows.

There is no potential difference across the bulb so no current can flow. The potential is the same everywhere on the right side of the circuit between the 2 positive terminals?

IntegralDerivative said:
There is no potential difference across the bulb so no current can flow. The potential is the same everywhere on the right side of the circuit between the 2 positive terminals?
Exactly.

Likes IntegralDerivative
phinds said:
Exactly.

Thank you so much phinds :D I get it now.

Now let me pose another question to extend the problem, and your understanding.

Those are ideal batteries. Now let's consider real-world batteries which have internal resistance. Suppose one of the batteries has a .01 ohm resistor in series with its positive terminal and the other battery has a .012 ohm resistor in series with its positive terminal. Does the answer change?

Likes IntegralDerivative
phinds said:
Now let me pose another question to extend the problem, and your understanding.

Those are ideal batteries. Now let's consider real-world batteries which have internal resistance. Suppose one of the batteries has a .01 ohm resistor in series with its positive terminal and the other battery has a .012 ohm resistor in series with its positive terminal. Does the answer change?

Wow great. :) I will try to solve this after my classes today. Thank you.

1. What is the definition of charge flow in simple circuits?

Charge flow in simple circuits refers to the movement of electric charge through a closed loop or pathway in a circuit. This flow of charge is what produces the electric current in the circuit.

2. What factors affect the rate of charge flow in a circuit?

The rate of charge flow in a circuit is affected by several factors, including the voltage or potential difference applied across the circuit, the resistance of the circuit elements, and the type of material the circuit is made of.

3. How is charge flow measured in a simple circuit?

Charge flow is measured in a simple circuit using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the amount of current in a circuit. The unit of measurement for charge flow is amperes (A).

4. What is the relationship between charge flow and energy in a circuit?

Charge flow is directly related to energy in a circuit. The movement of electric charge creates an electric current, which is a flow of energy through the circuit. The amount of energy transferred depends on the rate of charge flow and the voltage applied.

5. How can the flow of charge in a circuit be controlled?

The flow of charge in a circuit can be controlled by using devices such as resistors, capacitors, and switches. These components can increase or decrease the resistance in the circuit, which affects the flow of charge and the amount of current in the circuit.