1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge flow in simple circuits

1. May 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

upload_2017-5-12_12-46-12.png
    3. The attempt at a solution

Top left: No charge flowing through circuit b/c switch is open, not closed.
    Top right: No charge flowing through circuit b/c circuit does not connect positive and negative terminals
    Bottom left: Charge flows through circuit b/c closed loop between + and - terminal.
    Bottom right: No charge can flow through since negative terminal cannot be directly connected to another negative terminal.

Please let me know if these answers are correct and how I can make them better. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

RIght answer for the wrong reason. It's perfectly acceptable to connect negative terminals.

4. May 12, 2017 #3
    Thank you so much for you response phinds! :)

I don't get this. But I would say it as 2 positive terminals are making up the circuit, and they not sending any electrons through the circuit essentially. The electrons are all concentrated at the wire connecting the 2 negative terminals.

5. May 12, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that is not correct. Everything you see is part of the circuit, it's just a question of whether or not current flows through the various parts (it doesn't).What is the potential on each side of the bulb?

6. May 12, 2017 #5
    The potential on the positive side is maximum. The potential on the negative side is 0?

7. May 12, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea what your reference is. what do you mean "the negative side"? I'm not asking you about the battery, I'm asking you about the bulb. Please read my question again.

8. May 12, 2017 #7
    Here is what I mean:

upload_2017-5-12_13-19-5.png

9. May 12, 2017 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

10. May 12, 2017 #9
    I think the potential on each side of the bulb is maximum?

11. May 12, 2017 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but it's irrelevant whether or not it is maximum, minimum, or anywhere in between. Focus on why no current flows.

12. May 12, 2017 #11
    There is no potential difference across the bulb so no current can flow. The potential is the same everywhere on the right side of the circuit between the 2 positive terminals?

13. May 12, 2017 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly.

14. May 12, 2017 #13
    Thank you so much phinds :D I get it now.

15. May 12, 2017 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Now let me pose another question to extend the problem, and your understanding.

Those are ideal batteries. Now let's consider real-world batteries which have internal resistance. Suppose one of the batteries has a .01 ohm resistor in series with its positive terminal and the other battery has a .012 ohm resistor in series with its positive terminal. Does the answer change?

16. May 12, 2017 #15
    Wow great. :) I will try to solve this after my classes today. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted