1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on a particle to balance its weight

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. What must the charge of a 1.45g particle be for it to remain stationary when placed in a downward-directed electric field of magnitude 650N/C?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E = \frac{F}{q}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So the field is pointing downwards. E fields point in the direction a positive charge would take, so the charge must be negative to stay balanced. Gravity is also pointing downwards.

So I take the above formula, and I get F = Eq = ma
    [tex]q = \frac{(1.45*10^{-3})*g}{650} = 1.488*10^{-16} C[/tex]
    (Using g = [itex]6.67*10^{-11}[/itex]) However the answer given is [itex]-21.9\mu C[/itex]

Not sure what I'm doing wrong/missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

hey man welcome to physicsforums :)
    Why are you using g=6.67*10^-11 ?

Edit: or, what units are these?

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    I'm trying to balance the weight of the particle (mg) with the force from the electric field (Eq).

Thanks for the welcome ;D

Edit: the original particle is 1.45grams, so I use the [itex]10^{-3}[/itex] to convert that to kg. E is in N/C, and g, well I don't know :P Whatever the units of the gravitational constant are

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4
    Ohhhhh. I see what I've done! Doing dimensional analysis shows I have the wrong units; thanks for that.

I have to use 9.81 instead of the gravitational constant -_-

Edit: Yeah, thanks ap123 :P I certainly won't make THAT mistake again ;D

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    g is the acceleration due to gravity, not the gravitational constant, ie g should be 9.80m/s2

Edit: OK - you've got it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook