1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on cylindrical capacitor

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cylindrical air capacitor with a length of 12.2 m stores an amount of energy equal to 3.00E-8 J when the potential difference between the conductors is 4 V. Calculate the magnitude of the charge on each conductor.

2. Relevant equations

V=(lambda)/(2*pi*epsilon_0)*ln(r_0)/(r)

energy density=1/2*epsilon_0*E^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the energy, length, and potential. I'm not given either the charge on the cylinder or the ratio of the radii of the inner/outer conductors, both of which are necessary in the formula. I suspect the additional information needs to come from the equation involving the energy, some new input from knowing the electric field. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need the dimensions of the capacitor. What relations do you know about the energy stored in a capacitor?

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    U=1/2Q*V gives me a charge. but I need the magnitude of charge on each conductor. Is this the correct value?

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4
    yes it is. thank you :) was overthinking it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook