Shell in a cylindrical capacitor

In summary: In which case, you can try to find the value of the thickness of the shell that will make the capacitance equal to the initial.
fcoulomb

Homework Statement

There is a capacitor (llenght ##L##) made of a conductor (cylinder of radius ##R_1##) and a cylindrical surface (radius ##R_2##). It is charged with a potential ##V_0##, then it is isolated.
(There is vacuum between ##R_1## and ##R_2##)

Now we insert a cylindrical conducting shell of thickness ##d##, and inside radius ##R_3##, as in the picture below.1) Find the capacitance before and after the insertion of the shell. Find the value of ##d## such that ##C_{final}=2 C_{initial}## .

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My question is: after the shell is inserted, there is electrostatic induction between the shell and the ##R_1## cylinder, so i can see the problem as two capacitors in series, BUT the total final capacitance would be always less than the initial.

So how I can start?

Attachments

• fotoforum.PNG
    fotoforum.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 309
Physics news on Phys.org
fcoulomb said:

Homework Statement

There is a capacitor (llenght ##L##) made of a conductor (cylinder of radius ##R_1##) and a cylindrical surface (radius ##R_2##). It is charged with a potential ##V_0##, then it is isolated.
(There is vacuum between ##R_1## and ##R_2##)

Now we insert a cylindrical conducting shell of thickness ##d##, and inside radius ##R_3##, as in the picture below.1) Find the capacitance before and after the insertion of the shell. Find the value of ##d## such that ##C_{final}=2 C_{initial}## .

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My question is: after the shell is inserted, there is electrostatic induction between the shell and the ##R_1## cylinder, so i can see the problem as two capacitors in series, BUT the total final capacitance would be always less than the initial.

So how I can start?
You start by showing some work. Write down the capacitance before the insertion and the capacitances of the two series capacitors after the insertion. Add them as capacitors in series and see if you get a value that is less than the initial. Maybe you won't.

1. What is a shell in a cylindrical capacitor?

A shell in a cylindrical capacitor is a conducting material that surrounds the inner cylindrical conductor. It can be made of metal, foil, or any other conductive material.

2. How does a shell affect the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor?

A shell in a cylindrical capacitor increases the capacitance by providing an additional conducting surface area. This allows for a larger amount of charge to be stored, resulting in a higher capacitance.

3. Can the shell be removed from a cylindrical capacitor?

Yes, the shell can be removed from a cylindrical capacitor. However, this will decrease the capacitance as there will be less conducting surface area available to store charge.

4. What is the purpose of a shell in a cylindrical capacitor?

The purpose of a shell in a cylindrical capacitor is to increase the capacitance and provide a more uniform electric field. It also helps to protect the inner conductor from external influences.

5. How is the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor with a shell calculated?

The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor with a shell can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε0εrl/ln(b/a), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the conductors, l is the length of the capacitor, b is the radius of the outer shell, and a is the radius of the inner conductor.