Charge on three metallic plates

In summary, the metal plates will experience a force of attraction towards each other due to the electric field lines that emerge from the positive point charge on the middle plate.

cupid.callin said:
why are you making such an easy question so complicated...

the capacitor made of the 1st plate and left side of middle plate has no field outside it ... so i won't have any force on the charge on the right side of middle plate and and third plate

Yeah I got it now. The field on the right side of the middle plate gets canceled due to the first plate and the left side of the middle plate. I was very much confused and surprised after reading post #16. I figured out that its wrong.

gneill said:
Yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_induction" .

That is NOT polarisation of metals :rolleyes:
Polarisation is the characteristic property of those materials which don't have free electrons. Metals have free electrons and they get induced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Abdul Quadeer said:
That is NOT polarisation of metals :rolleyes:
Polarisation is the characteristic property of those materials which don't have free electrons. Metals have free electrons and they get induced.

Sorry, but when there is a separation of opposite charges in an object, the object can be said to be polarized --- it has a "+" end and a "-" end. Whether or not the separation occurs due to induction or by some other method of sequestering or implanting the charges is irrelevant.

Literally it may mean separation of charges. But I did not see anyone (except you offcourse :biggrin:) to use that term for metals in physics.
It's used specifically for dielectrics. Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_density