Charge particle between 2 paralleled plates

In summary, the problem involves a charged particle moving between two parallel charged plates at an initial speed of 3640 km/s. The equation given to use is W(cons)=-ΔV=ΔK=-(-e)(ΔV)=1/2 m(particle)(Vf2-Vi2). The first part of the problem was to determine if the particle is an electron or a proton, which is an electron. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation 1/2 (9.1*10-31)*36402= 6.02*10-24, but it was not correct. The question is to find the particle's speed as it reaches the right plate.
physicshelp19

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a charged particle (either an electron or a proton) is moving rightward between two parallel charged plates separated by distance d = 2.30 mm. The particle is speeding up from an initial speed of 3640 km/s at the left plate.
W0543-N.jpg

Homework Equations

The equation that I was given to use (The one my professor worked out on the board) is:

W(cons)=-ΔV=ΔK=-(-e)(ΔV)=1/2 m(particle)(Vf2-Vi2)

The first part of the problem was to find out if the particle was an electron or a proton. It is an electron.

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 (9.1*10-31)*36402= 6.02*10-24

This was not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
So... what's the question?

I need help in solving this problem. I cannot figure it out and the equation I was using did not work. What equation would you use to solve it?

physicshelp19 said:
I need help in solving this problem. I cannot figure it out and the equation I was using did not work. What equation would you use to solve it?

Equation to find what? You haven't stated what it is you are trying to find. Where in your problem statement does it specify what it is that you looking for?

What is its speed just as it reaches the plate at the right?

physicshelp19 said:
What is its speed just as it reaches the plate at the right?

So, in your solution attempt, what was the equation you used (it's general form; what does it calculate)?

1. What is the purpose of using two parallel plates in experiments involving charge particles?

The use of two parallel plates allows for a uniform electric field to be created between them. This allows for more controlled and accurate measurements and observations of the behavior of charge particles.

2. How do the properties of the charge particles affect their behavior between the parallel plates?

The properties of the charge particles, such as their size and charge magnitude, will determine the strength and direction of the electric force they experience between the plates. This will ultimately affect their acceleration and trajectory.

3. Can charge particles be trapped between the parallel plates?

Yes, charge particles can be trapped between the parallel plates if the electric field between the plates is strong enough to counteract the particles' initial velocity and prevent them from escaping.

4. What happens to the behavior of charge particles when the distance between the parallel plates is changed?

As the distance between the plates is changed, the strength of the electric field between them will also change. This will in turn affect the acceleration and trajectory of the charge particles between the plates.

5. How can the behavior of charge particles between parallel plates be used in practical applications?

The behavior of charge particles between parallel plates can be utilized in a variety of applications, such as in particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes. It can also be used in the development of technologies such as capacitors and photovoltaic cells.