How to find potential difference between 2 parallel deflection plates

In summary, to find the potential difference between parallel deflection plates, you can use the equation ΔV = εd, where ε is the electric field strength, d is the distance between the plates, and ΔV is the potential difference. You can also use the equation W = qΔV to calculate the energy gained by the electron as it moves between the plates. Additionally, you can use the equation Fe = qε to calculate the force on the electron due to the electric field. Finally, you can use the equation V = kq/r to calculate the potential difference between two charges, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the two charges.
firezap

Homework Statement

Describe by pointform how to find potential difference between parallel deflection plates, ΔV₂ = ?
You don't have to solve.

ΔV1 = 1.38 kV
Δx = 5 cm
Δy = 0.49 cm
r = 5.2 cm
q = 1.6 x 10^-19 C
m = 9.11 x 10^-31 kg
k = 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2

Homework Equations

ε = ΔV/d
W = ΔEe = qΔV
V = kq/r
Fe = kq1q₂/r^2
Fe = qε
Ee = kq1q₂/r

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't have the velocity so i don't know how. If i did have velocity i would find time.

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 558
  • lab crt.jpg
    lab crt.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am on thin ice here, but its ok I am happy making a fool out of myself

Don't you use the potential between the cathode and the anode and the charge on the electron to calculate the energy gained in traversing the first part of your diagram and equate this to the kinetic energy to solve for the velocity as you leave the slit in the vertical anode

1/2 mv^2=eV

Last edited:
Ty what do I do after?

i have the initial velocity what do i solve for next? ε, acceleration, Fe, final velocity? how to find potential difference

Last edited:
never mind i got it.

1. How do parallel deflection plates create a potential difference?

Parallel deflection plates create a potential difference by applying an electric field between them. This electric field causes the charged particles within the field to experience a force, resulting in a potential difference between the plates.

2. What factors affect the potential difference between parallel deflection plates?

The potential difference between parallel deflection plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the strength of the electric field, and the magnitude of the charges on the plates.

3. How can I calculate the potential difference between parallel deflection plates?

The potential difference between parallel deflection plates can be calculated using the equation V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. Can the potential difference between parallel deflection plates be negative?

Yes, the potential difference between parallel deflection plates can be negative if the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the charged particles. This can occur if the charges on the plates are of opposite polarity.

5. How can I measure the potential difference between parallel deflection plates?

The potential difference between parallel deflection plates can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel to the plates, and the reading on the voltmeter will indicate the potential difference between the plates.