1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged Particle Motion in a Magnetic Field

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton is moving through a vertical magnetic field. The (instantaneous) velocity of the proton is 8.5x105m/s horizontally in the north direction. The (instantaneous) acceleration produced by the magnetic force is 2.90x105m/s2 in the west direction. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field?

2. Relevant equations
    Proton Mass = 1.67x10-23 kg
    Proton Charge = +e = 1.60x10-19 C
    B = F/(qv) (I think!)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, this seems like it should be simple, but the online homework keeps saying I am wrong, so obviously I am skipping something here. First, applying Newton's second law, I found the force, F, required of the Magnetic Force to produce the acceleration (F=ma = (1.67x10-23 kg x 2.90x105 m/s2 = 4.843x10-18 N). Then, all I need to do is put this force in the equation for a charged particle in motion in a magnetic field, which I think is B=F/(qv), so I should get, B = (4.843x10-18 N)/[(1.60x10-19 C)(8.5x105m/s), which gives me B = 3.561x10-5 Tesla.

But apparently that is wrong. Am I missing something small, like a number, or do I have the wrong equation?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You have the proton mass wrong. The mass is 1.67E-27 kg.

4. Apr 3, 2010 #3
    Ah, thanks! Indeed I do.

And that was off of an equation/constant sheet my professor gave me!

Thanks again, I knew it was something like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook