Does a linearly time varying B create changing E?

Shreya
Homework Statement
I know that a time varying magnetic field, creates a curling electric field around it. My question is this: If the time variance is linear, the curl of electric field is constant. Doesn't that imply electric field is not varying with time? So, no curling magnetic field is generated?
Relevant Equations
Maxwell's 4 laws
As accelerated charges produces time varying electric field which produces time varying magnetic fields and so on. I know there is something wrong with my argument, I can't point it out. Please be kind to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have [itex]\mathbf{B} = \mathbf{b}(\mathbf{x})t[/itex] where [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{b} = 0[/itex]. Hence in the absence of sources, [tex]
(\nabla \times \mathbf{b})t = \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}[/tex] so that [tex]
\mathbf{E} = \frac{c^2t^2}{2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{b}) + \mathbf{E}_0(\mathbf{x}).[/tex] From [tex]
\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\mathbf{b}[/tex] we find [tex]
\frac{c^2t^2}{2}\nabla \times( \nabla\times \mathbf{b}) = - \nabla \times \mathbf{E}_0 - \mathbf{b}.[/tex] Now the right hand side is independent of time, so we must have [tex]
\nabla \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{b}) = 0[/tex] and [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{E}_0 = -\mathbf{b}[/itex] with [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E}_0 = 0[/itex].

This can admit non-zero solutions for [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{b}[/itex] so that [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex] need not be independent of time.

Likes Shreya and TSny
@pasmith, thank you so much for the answer. I understood your reply except the last statement.
pasmith said:
This can admit non-zero solutions for ∇×b so that E need not be independent of time.
Could you please explain this?
Could you explain how a changing magnetic field, creates a change electric field and that creates a changing magnetic field and so one. I thought that every time you take a derivative the power of time decreases until you get a zero.
P.s I am just a highschooler so I am not very comfortable with multivariable calculus, but I can quite understand what you wrote above. Could you please elaborate?

Shreya said:
Homework Statement: I know that a time varying magnetic field, creates a curling electric field around it. My question is this: If the time variance is linear, the curl of electric field is constant. Doesn't that imply electric field is not varying with time? So, no curling magnetic field is generated?

For a specific example, consider the ##E## and ##B## fields produced by charging parallel, circular plates:

1691948474577.png

The lower plate is being charged positive while the upper plate is being charged negative. Neglecting edge effects, the E field is parallel to the z-axis and is increasing in strength while the ##B## field lines are circular. We assume that the rate of charging is controlled such that the magnitude of ##B## at any point increases linearly with time. Then the ##E## field turns out to be nonuniform in space and increases quadratically in time. The magnitudes of the fields may be expressed as $$E = at^2 + \frac{ar^2}{2c^2}$$ $$B = \frac{art}{c^2} .$$ Here, ##a## is a constant with dimensions of electric field divided by time squared.
##r## is the horizontal distance of a point from the z-axis.

It can be checked that these fields satisfy all 4 of Maxwell’s equations. ##B## increases linearly with time. ##E## contains a time-dependent term (quadratic in ##t##) which is uniform in space and a time-independent term that is nonuniform in space (quadratic in ##r##). These two terms correspond to the right-hand side of @pasmith 's
pasmith said:
$$\mathbf{E} = \frac{c^2t^2}{2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{b}) + \mathbf{E}_0(\mathbf{x})$$

In the figure, you can see how the ##B## field “curls” around the changing E field.

Even though the ##E## field lines are straight, the ##E## field nevertheless has a nonzero curl (in the mathematical sense) around the changing ##B## field. This is due to the increase in ##E## as ##r## increases.

Likes kuruman, vanhees71 and Shreya
Wow! Thank you so much, @TSny and @pasmith. I got it, now! I love electromagnetism and this awesome community 👏

Likes TSny

1. How does a linearly time varying B affect the creation of changing E?

A linearly time varying B creates a changing E through Faraday's law of induction. This law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, which in turn will cause a current to flow.

2. Is the creation of changing E dependent on the strength of the linearly time varying B?

Yes, the strength of the linearly time varying B directly affects the magnitude of the induced electric field. The stronger the magnetic field, the stronger the induced electric field will be.

3. Can a linearly time varying B create a constant E?

No, a linearly time varying B will always create a changing E. This is because the changing magnetic field will continuously induce an electric field, resulting in a constantly changing E.

4. How does the direction of the linearly time varying B affect the direction of the changing E?

The direction of the linearly time varying B will determine the direction of the changing E. According to Lenz's law, the induced electric field will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

5. Can a linearly time varying B create a changing E in a vacuum?

Yes, a linearly time varying B can create a changing E in a vacuum. This is because electromagnetic fields, such as the electric and magnetic fields, can exist and interact with each other in a vacuum.