Charged particles - magnitude of force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of force on a charged particle placed at a specific point. The calculation involves using the equation Fx = k*|Q|*(qx/r^2) and plugging in the given values to find the individual forces F1, F2, and F3. The net force is then calculated by adding the individual forces together, resulting in a net force of 47 Newtons.
hoseA
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5310/chargedparticles7of.png

What is the magnitude of the force on a
-1.2 muC charge placed at a point 1.6 cm to the left of the
middle charge?? Answer in units of N.

This is what I did:

I used Fx = k*|Q|*(qx/r^2)

Q= 1.2*E-6

I plugged in 8.6*E-6 into the above equation (keep in mind i used 3.7cm-1.6cm =2.1 cm --> .021m) and got F1=210.320898

I plugged in 4*E-6 into the above equation (i used .016m) and got F2=168.5165625

I plugged in -1.2*E-6 into the above equation (i used .016+.032=.048m) and got F3 = -5.61721875

Then for F final = -F1 + F2 - F3 = -36.187

Since it asks for magnitude I plugged in 36.187. It came up as wrong... where did i go wrong??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be great if someone can offer any help within the next 3 hours.

According to the way you've defined F1, F2 and F3, your net force should be

Fnet = -F1 + F2 + F3

which comes out as 47 something Newtons.

jdstokes said:
According to the way you've defined F1, F2 and F3, your net force should be

Fnet = -F1 + F2 + F3

which comes out as 47 something Newtons.

Wow, that was it. Thanks A LOT! People like you make this site awesome. Thanks again. :approve:

1. What are charged particles?

Charged particles are atoms or molecules that have an imbalance of protons and electrons, resulting in a positive or negative electrical charge.

2. What is the magnitude of force between two charged particles?

The magnitude of force between two charged particles is determined by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is the magnitude of force affected by the distance between two charged particles?

As the distance between two charged particles increases, the magnitude of force between them decreases. This is because the inverse square relationship in Coulomb's Law means that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

4. Can the magnitude of force between two charged particles be negative?

No, the magnitude of force between two charged particles cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as the force between two particles is always attractive or repulsive, but never both at the same time.

5. How do the charges of the particles affect the magnitude of force between them?

The charges of the particles have a direct effect on the magnitude of force between them. If the charges are of the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force is repulsive and the magnitude increases. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force is attractive and the magnitude decreases.