1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged Particles Moving in a Magnetic Field Ranking Task

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Five equal-mass particles (A–E) enter a region of uniform magnetic field directed into the page. They follow the trajectories illustrated in the figure.

29zufkn.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i used the formula v=qBr/m
    got the following "A,B,C=E,D" apparently this is wrong i do not know why..i find this question contradicting because it says at first "Five equal-mass particles" but the five masses are not the same because the electron is A and proton are the rest. could someone help me

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2
    got it . it is not solvable

4. Jun 30, 2010 #3
    What do you want to rank the particles upon?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  5. Jun 30, 2010 #4
    A charged particle doesn't have to be either an electron or a proton. You can have two particles with equal mass, same magnitude of charge, but different sign of charge, like an electron and a positron (Same mass as an electron, but +e charge)

Or you could be discussing macroscopic particles for that matter, onto which you can impart any charge you'd like.

By the way, what is the question here? What are the charge signs and relative velocities of all the particles?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook