Charged Particles on a pendulum

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance between two charged particles hanging from a pendulum, given the length of the nonconducting string, mass of the particles and the charge. The solution involves balancing the forces of gravity, electricity, and tension, and expressing them in terms of the unknown angle theta.
patm95

Homework Statement

What is the distance(d) separating the charged particles dangling on the pendulum?

Length of Nonconducting string=120cm
mass of particles= 10g
Charge q = 1.2*10^-8

Homework Equations

Fe=(k*q^2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I could get this problem easily if I had either the angle between verticle and the nonconducting string or the electric force opposing the masses. I have been using my knowledge of trigonometry to figure this out and trying to manipulate the above equation, but with no luck. Just needed to be pointed in the right direction I think. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Focus on one of the particles. You have three forces on the particle, gravity, electrical, and the tension force of the the string. They all have to balance (i.e. the sum is zero). Split each one of them into xy components and express them in terms of the unknown angle theta. Start writing down the equations you get, ok?

ok... I will show you what I have. I don't know Fe or Theta...That is where I am hitting a roadblock. mg= .098N

Fe=Tsin(theta)
mg=Tcos(theta)
Fe/mg=Tan(theta)

Am I still overlooking something?

You can also express Fe in terms of sin(theta), since the distance is a function of sin(theta).

Last edited:

Q1: What are charged particles on a pendulum?

Charged particles on a pendulum refer to electrically charged objects that are attached to a pendulum and are subjected to the forces of gravity and the electromagnetic field.

Q2: How do charged particles behave on a pendulum?

When a charged particle is placed on a pendulum, it will oscillate back and forth due to the forces of gravity and the electromagnetic field. The particle will experience a force in the direction of the pendulum's swing due to the electromagnetic field, causing it to accelerate and change direction.

Q3: What factors affect the motion of charged particles on a pendulum?

The motion of charged particles on a pendulum is affected by the strength of the electromagnetic field, the mass of the particle, and the length of the pendulum. These factors can impact the frequency and amplitude of the particle's oscillations.

Q4: Can charged particles on a pendulum be used for any practical applications?

Yes, charged particles on a pendulum can be used in devices such as electrostatic generators and particle accelerators. They can also be used in scientific experiments to study the effects of electromagnetic forces on moving charged particles.

Q5: What is the relationship between the charge of a particle and its motion on a pendulum?

The charge of a particle does not affect its motion on a pendulum, as long as the particle is small enough to be considered a point charge. The motion of a charged particle on a pendulum is primarily determined by the strength of the electromagnetic field and the other factors mentioned in Q3.