Charged particles through magnetic field

In summary, the LHC works by using a charged particle that is accelerated through a series of superconducting magnet rings, increasing its speed and energy. This particle then collides with another particle from the opposite direction, resulting in the production of new particles at specific energy levels. The magnetic fields are used to deflect the particle's trajectory and the acceleration is primarily achieved through the use of electric fields. The LHC also uses a linear accelerator to initially enter the particles into the circular path.
Crazymechanic
I have a question that I want to verify , so that i know is my understanding about how the LHC works.
So basically there is this charged particle being thrown into a huge lone tube consisting of superconducting magnet rings and while each of the magnet rings has it's magnetic field traveling around a circle the particle going perpendiculary through many of those gets it's boost more and more and then in the end when two of these tubes with particles traveling through them get together from opposite sides the particle speeds are great enough so that a collision reveals new particles at certain energy's , I guess depending on how fast they were accelerated.

So it's basically a huge Coil gun and the particle is the metal thing or bullet traveling through that gun being kicked by the magnetic fields so that it takes up speed and so has more energy in the end when there is a collision?

Thanks for answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, magnetic field's task is just to deflect proton's trajectory in order to make it circular. As you know, in fact, magnetic force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the charged particle, so it can't increase the magnitude of its velocity but it can deflect it.
If I remember well, usually linear acceleration is achieved thanks to electric fields placed in some fixed zones of the circular path. If you choose the frequency of this electric fields correctly you can "kick" the particle every time it passes trough the field.
I think at LHC the first acceleration is give by a linear accelerator which enters the protons into the circular path and then subsequent accelerations are obtain with many different kind of electric fields.

1. What is the relationship between charged particles and magnetic fields?

Charged particles, such as electrons and protons, are affected by magnetic fields due to their electric charge. When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of its motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the motion of charged particles?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force acting on the charged particles. If the magnetic field and the particle's motion are parallel, no force is exerted and the particle continues in a straight line. If they are perpendicular, the particle will experience a force that causes it to move in a circular path.

3. What is the significance of the strength of the magnetic field in relation to charged particles?

The strength of the magnetic field determines the magnitude of the force acting on the charged particles. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force on the particles, potentially causing them to change direction more quickly or move in a tighter circle.

4. How does the speed of the charged particles affect their interaction with a magnetic field?

The speed of the charged particles also plays a role in their interaction with a magnetic field. Higher speeds result in a greater force and a tighter circular motion, while lower speeds result in a weaker force and a wider circular motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of charged particles moving through a magnetic field?

One common application is in electric motors, where charged particles are directed through a magnetic field to produce rotational motion. This principle is also used in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated to high speeds by passing them through a series of magnetic fields. Charged particles moving through Earth's magnetic field also play a role in the formation of the aurora borealis (northern lights).