Charged Point Mass in a Constant Electric Field

In summary, the problem involves a point particle suspended by a thread, making an angle of \theta with the vertical. A constant electric field of magnitude E is directed at an angle \phi above the horizontal. Using Newton's second law and the equations for tension and the electric field, an expression for \theta can be derived as arctan((E(cos(phi))/((mg-(E(sin(phi))).
rmunoz

Homework Statement

A point particle with mass m and charge q is suspended from a fixed point by a massless thread of length[tex]\ell[/tex]. This thread makes an angle of [tex]\theta[/tex] with the vertical when a constant electric field of magnitude E is directed along an angle [tex]\phi[/tex] above the horizontal direction. Derive an expression for the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] assuming m,q, [tex]\ell[/tex], [tex]\theta[/tex], E, and [tex]\phi[/tex] are known.

a) draw a picture of the situation described above
b) draw a fbd for the charged mass
c) identify each of the forces on the charged mass and write an expression for each of them in terms of variables listed above (where appropriate)
d) Using Newton's second law derive an expression for theta.

Homework Equations

F=ma

E= F/q => k(q/r^2) (point charge)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i have drawn both the fbd and the picture describing the situation. What I need to know is whether or not I am representing the forces correctly in the FBD. Because I do not have a scanner I will attempt to explain how I have set up the FBD in my own words.

First there is a weight force acting downward on the charged particle... obviously in the negative [tex]\hat{j}[/tex].

Second there is a tension force acting at some angle theta from the horizontal... i represented this as T.

Third there is the Electric field acting on the particle at angle phi above the horizontal (we may assume this has some single magnitude and direction because the field is constant).

My primary question is how does the electric field differ from the force acting on the charged mass if at all? I understand that E= F/q[tex]_{o}[/tex] for a point charge. I am confused as to weather the force acting on the particle in the FBD is represented as F or as E in this situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe i have made quite a bit of progress since the first post but perhaps someone could help by checking over my work.

c) *For Finding T with respect to the other quantities:

T= (mg - E(sin(phi))/(cos(theta))
and
T= (Ecos(phi))/(sin(theta))

* the magnitude of the force acting on the particle as a result of the uniform electric field is given by:

E= (1/(4pi(epsilon-not))) ( q/(r^2)) (r-hat)

d) finding an expression for theta using Newtons 2nd

f=ma => because this is an equilibrium situation ma=0 thus the summation of forces acting on the particle must also be = to zero

Summation of forces in the x = 0 yields:
T= (E(cos(phi)))/(sin(theta))

Summation of forces in the y = 0 yields:
T= (mg-E(sin(phi)))/(cos(theta))

combining the two equations yields:
theta = arctan((E(cos(phi))/((mg-(E(sin(phi)))

1. What is a charged point mass?

A charged point mass is a theoretical concept in physics that represents a particle with mass and an electric charge concentrated at a single point. It is often used to simplify calculations in situations where the size of the particle is negligible compared to other objects in the system.

2. What is a constant electric field?

A constant electric field is a region in space where the electric field strength remains the same at all points. This means that the force experienced by a charged particle placed in this field will be constant at any point within the field.

3. How does a charged point mass behave in a constant electric field?

A charged point mass in a constant electric field will experience a constant force due to the electric field, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field. The magnitude of the acceleration will depend on the strength of the electric field and the charge of the particle.

4. What is the equation for the force on a charged point mass in a constant electric field?

The force (F) on a charged point mass (q) in a constant electric field (E) is given by the equation F = qE. This means that the force is directly proportional to the charge and the strength of the electric field.

5. How does the motion of a charged point mass in a constant electric field differ from that in a uniform gravitational field?

In a constant electric field, the charged point mass will experience a constant force, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field. In contrast, in a uniform gravitational field, the force on a mass will decrease as the distance from the source of the field increases, resulting in a parabolic motion. Additionally, the gravitational force is always attractive, while the electric force can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges involved.