1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging/Discharging Capacitor & Magnetic Field

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The magnetic field in the region shown below is increasing by 5 T/s. The circuit shown (with R=25 , C=95 µF, dimensions 1 m by 2 m) is inserted into the region as shown. The capacitor is initially uncharged.

See Diagram: http://www.webassign.net/userimages/23-31.gif?db=v4net&id=50305

a.) What is the current in the circuit at the moment the circuit is put in the B field?
    .4 A
    direction: counterclockwise

b) How long will it take the capacitor to charge to 25% of its final charge?
    ?????

c) How much charge will the capacitor hold after a long time (assuming this magnetic field rate increase is maintained)?
    ????????

2. Relevant equations

Q(t)=Qf(1-e^t/rc)

Q=VC

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm using Q(t)=Qf(1-e^t/rc) to find time.

First, I found Qf by using Q=VC. I know that V=IR so, Q=IRC, =(.4)(25)(9.5e-6)
    Qf=9.5e-5

Then, I used Q(t)=Qf(1-e^t/rc)

.25=9.5e-5(1-e^-t/[(9.5e-5*25)]

I'm not getting a real or correct answer for this.

Your assistance, any help you could offer is much appreciated. THANK YOU!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2
    I think you numbers are correct but when the charge is 25% that means 25% x final charge.
    I think you have just forgotten to multiply by the final charge??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook