TIme needed for a capacitor to reach a fraction of its final charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
guyvsdcsniper
Messages
264
Reaction score
37
Homework Statement
how much time elapses for the capicitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge?
Relevant Equations
e^-t/Tau
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 11.29.42 AM.png


I am a little lost on the last step of this problem. I get that we want to know how much time elapses for the capacitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge. That is why 2/3Qf is equal to Qf(1-e^-t/RC).

I don't understand how we make the jump to e^-t/Tau is equal to 1/3? and then somehow e^-t/Tau is positive.

Could someone explain these steps to me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: how much time elapses for the capicitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge?
Relevant Equations:: e^-t/Tau

View attachment 291407

I am a little lost on the last step of this problem. I get that we want to know how much time elapses for the capacitor to reach 2/3 of its final charge. That is why 2/3Qf is equal to Qf(1-e^-t/RC).

I don't understand how we make the jump to e^-t/Tau is equal to 1/3? and then somehow e^-t/Tau is positive.

Could someone explain these steps to me?
That step is just a little basic algebra. They left out a couple steps. Start with ##\frac{2}{3} Q_f =Q_f(1-e^{-t/\tau})## and solve for t.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and DaveE