Understanding Trigonometric Transformations: Analyzing a Horizontal Translation

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, we changed the original function to y=2\cos [\frac {-1} {2} (x-180)] -3, with a period of -4pi, amplitude of 2, max value of -1, min value of -5, and a range of -5<=y<=-1. The domain is all real numbers, with a vertical displacement of 3 units down and a horizontal translation of 180 units to the right. The original question had 90 degrees in it, and the horizontal translation should be to the right, not left.
aisha
[tex] y=2\cos (\frac {-1} {2}x + 90 ) -3 [/tex]

I changed the original function to

[tex] y=2\cos [\frac {-1} {2} (x-180)] -3 [/tex]

period=-4pi
amplitude=2
max=-1
min=-5
range={y:-5<=y<=-1}
domain={x:XER}
vertical displacement 3 units down
horizontal translation 180 units left

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We can't tell- there is no "x" in the original function.

aisha: do not confuse radians and degrees.

I don't think I am confused about radians and degrees some of my trig functions have radians in them so to make things simpler I convert to degrees but in this question i haven't done any converting that 90 is in degrees. :smile:
sorry I added the x in the original function.

Did i do this question correctly?

Yes, seems correct although I think the horizontal displacement is to the right.

If the original question had 90 in it, then you did it correctly except for the direction of the horizontal translation. If the original question had [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] in it, then the value of the horizontal translation is off too.

thanks so much the original question does have 90 degrees in it. You are right the horizontal translation should be to the right NOT LEFT! :smile:

1. What is "Check another trig behaviour"?

"Check another trig behaviour" refers to the process of examining the behavior of a trigonometric function, such as sine or cosine, at a different angle or input value.

2. When is it necessary to check another trig behaviour?

It is necessary to check another trig behaviour when solving trigonometric equations or when determining the characteristics of a trigonometric graph, such as its amplitude, period, or phase shift.

3. How do you check another trig behaviour?

To check another trig behaviour, the input value or angle is changed and the resulting value of the trigonometric function is calculated using the new input. This can be done manually using a calculator or graphing software.

4. What information can be obtained by checking another trig behaviour?

By checking another trig behaviour, the characteristics of the trigonometric function can be determined, such as its maximum and minimum values, symmetry, and asymptotes. It can also help in solving trigonometric equations.

5. Are there any common mistakes when checking another trig behaviour?

Yes, common mistakes when checking another trig behaviour include forgetting to change the input value or angle, using incorrect trigonometric identities or formulas, and making errors in calculations. It is important to double check the work and use the appropriate tools when checking another trig behaviour.