Checking if line is orthogonal to two skew lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding an orthogonal line to two skew lines. The steps include finding the directional vector of the orthogonal line, using the parametric form of one of the lines to create a line bundle, and solving for the point of intersection between the line bundle and the other skew line. The final result is a line passing through that point with a directional vector of <-12, 12, -12>, which is perpendicular to the two given skew lines. The possibility of using different directional vectors and the presence of fractions in the final answer are also mentioned.
Kernul

Homework Statement

So, I'm doing a long exercise, you can check here the first part: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/checking-if-the-following-lines-are-coplanar.885948/
The second part asks me to find, if one of the couple of lines are skew, the orthogonal line to two skew lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I did it:
I first found the directional vector of the orthogonal line, which is ##\vec v_o = \vec v_s \times \vec v_t##.
##\begin{vmatrix}
\hat i & \hat j & \hat k \\
3 & 0 & -3 \\
-12 & -4 & 8
\end{vmatrix} = (-12, 12, -12)##

After this, I'll need the parametric form of one of the two lines. In this case I'll take ##s##.
##\begin{cases}
x = 4 - \tau \\
y = 2 \\
z = \tau
\end{cases}##

Now we will need a line bundle and use the equations of the parametric form of ##s## and the vector ##\vec v_o##.
##\begin{cases}
x' = 4 - \tau - 12m\\
y' = 2 + 12m\\
z' = \tau - 12m
\end{cases}##

At this point, we will substitute the unknowns to the Cartesian form of ##t## .
##\begin{cases}
4(4 - \tau - 12m) - 2(2 + 12m) + 5(\tau - 12m) - 3 = 0 \\
2(2 + 12m) + \tau - 12m + 1 = 0
\end{cases}##
and I end up with two unique solutions for ##\tau## and ##m##.
##\begin{cases}
\tau = \frac{22}{7} \\
m = \frac{1}{42}
\end{cases}##

Now I have to substitute these in the line bundle equations so I'll have the point where the intersection between the line bundle, which is orthogonal to the line ##s## because we used the parametric form of ##s## in order to make it, and the line ##t## happens.

##\begin{cases}
x' = 4 - \frac{22}{7} - \frac{12}{42} = \frac{4}{7} \\
y' = 2 + \frac{12}{42} = \frac{16}{7} \\
z' = \frac{22}{7} - \frac{12}{42} = \frac{20}{7}
\end{cases}##

Now we know that the line we are searching for has to pass in that point and that the directional vector is ##\vec v_o##, so:
##\begin{cases}
x' = \frac{4}{7} - 12\tau\\
y' =\frac{16}{7} + 12\tau\\
z' = \frac{20}{7} - 12\tau
\end{cases}##

Is this correct? Because every time I see fractions in this kind of exercises makes me think I did something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kernul said:

Homework Statement

So, I'm doing a long exercise, you can check here the first part: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/checking-if-the-following-lines-are-coplanar.885948/
The second part asks me to find, if one of the couple of lines are skew, the orthogonal line to two skew lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I did it:
I first found the directional vector of the orthogonal line, which is ##\vec v_o = \vec v_s \times \vec v_t##.
##\begin{vmatrix}
\hat i & \hat j & \hat k \\
3 & 0 & -3 \\
-12 & -4 & 8
\end{vmatrix} = (-12, 12, -12)##

After this, I'll need the parametric form of one of the two lines. In this case I'll take ##s##.
##\begin{cases}
x = 4 - \tau \\
y = 2 \\
z = \tau
\end{cases}##

Now we will need a line bundle and use the equations of the parametric form of ##s## and the vector ##\vec v_o##.
##\begin{cases}
x' = 4 - \tau - 12m\\
y' = 2 + 12m\\
z' = \tau - 12m
\end{cases}##

At this point, we will substitute the unknowns to the Cartesian form of ##t## .
##\begin{cases}
4(4 - \tau - 12m) - 2(2 + 12m) + 5(\tau - 12m) - 3 = 0 \\
2(2 + 12m) + \tau - 12m + 1 = 0
\end{cases}##
and I end up with two unique solutions for ##\tau## and ##m##.
##\begin{cases}
\tau = \frac{22}{7} \\
m = \frac{1}{42}
\end{cases}##

Now I have to substitute these in the line bundle equations so I'll have the point where the intersection between the line bundle, which is orthogonal to the line ##s## because we used the parametric form of ##s## in order to make it, and the line ##t## happens.

##\begin{cases}
x' = 4 - \frac{22}{7} - \frac{12}{42} = \frac{4}{7} \\
y' = 2 + \frac{12}{42} = \frac{16}{7} \\
z' = \frac{22}{7} - \frac{12}{42} = \frac{20}{7}
\end{cases}##

Now we know that the line we are searching for has to pass in that point and that the directional vector is ##\vec v_o##, so:
##\begin{cases}
x' = \frac{4}{7} - 12\tau\\
y' =\frac{16}{7} + 12\tau\\
z' = \frac{20}{7} - 12\tau
\end{cases}##

Is this correct? Because every time I see fractions in this kind of exercises makes me think I did something wrong.
Is the line you found perpendicular to the two given skew lines? This is simple to check, and is something that you should do.

Also, just because you end up with fractions doesn't mean that your answer is wrong.

One other thing: the vector you found, <-12, 12, -12> has the same direction as <-1, 1, -1> and the opposite direction as <1, -1, 1>. You can use any of the three as the direction for your orthogonal line. Note that I didn't check your work in getting this vector.

Likes Kernul
Mark44 said:
Is the line you found perpendicular to the two given skew lines? This is simple to check, and is something that you should do.
Yes, because the scalar product of the directional vector of the line I found and the other two skew lines is ##0##. And yeah, you're right, I should do it.

Mark44 said:
Also, just because you end up with fractions doesn't mean that your answer is wrong.
Yeah, I know. It's that usually my professor makes the exercises so that the results look... simple?

Anyway, thank you for the help!

1. How do you determine if a line is orthogonal to two skew lines?

To determine if a line is orthogonal to two skew lines, you can use the dot product method. First, find the vectors representing the two skew lines. Then, take the dot product of the vector representing the line in question with both of these vectors. If the dot product is 0 for both, then the line is orthogonal to the two skew lines.

2. Can a line be orthogonal to two skew lines at more than one point?

Yes, a line can be orthogonal to two skew lines at more than one point. This occurs when the line is parallel to the plane containing the two skew lines.

3. What is the significance of determining if a line is orthogonal to two skew lines?

Determining if a line is orthogonal to two skew lines can help in solving problems involving intersections of lines and planes. It can also be useful in analyzing the relationship between different lines in a 3-dimensional space.

4. Is there a geometric interpretation for the dot product method used to check for orthogonality?

Yes, the dot product method is based on the concept that two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is 0. Geometrically, this means that the two vectors form a 90-degree angle with each other.

5. Are there other methods to check if a line is orthogonal to two skew lines?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to check if a line is orthogonal to two skew lines. These include using the cross product and calculating the angle between the line and the two skew lines. However, the dot product method is the most commonly used method as it is relatively simple and efficient.