1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking my values for a complex integral

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    I am going to provide my answer to a complex integral and i was just seeking a few pointers as to weather i was on the right track or was there something i completely forgot...happens quite a bit...lol

[tex]\oint exp(z+(1/z))[/tex] around the path [tex]\left |z|\right=1[/tex]

now i converted that to a Laurent series....to get

[tex]\sum ^{inf} _{0} (1/n!) (z+(1/z))^n [/tex]

then using the residue theorem i can have that the integral is equal to 2*pi*i given that b1=1 for taking the series around z=0

am i right???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2
    No, you must expand each of the powers and then extract the coefficient of 1/z and add them up. I think the sum of the series can be expressed in terms of the Bessel function of order 1 at -2 i (but I have to check to verify this)

Now, you can find that result directly simply by putting
    z = exp(i theta), and integrating from theta = 0 to 2 pi. You then get an integral that is the same up to some factor to the Bessel function of order 1 of imaginary argument.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?