Checking my values for a complex integral

In summary, The conversation is about a complex integral and the speaker is seeking clarification on their approach. They have converted the integral to a Laurent series and used the residue theorem, but the other person suggests expanding each power and extracting the coefficient of 1/z. They also mention that the sum of the series can be expressed in terms of the Bessel function of order 1 and can be found directly by substituting z=exp(i theta) and integrating from 0 to 2 pi.
majesticman
I am going to provide my answer to a complex integral and i was just seeking a few pointers as to weather i was on the right track or was there something i completely forgot...happens quite a bit...lol

[tex]\oint exp(z+(1/z))[/tex] around the path [tex]\left |z|\right=1[/tex]

now i converted that to a Laurent series...to get

[tex]\sum ^{inf} _{0} (1/n!) (z+(1/z))^n [/tex]

then using the residue theorem i can have that the integral is equal to 2*pi*i given that b1=1 for taking the series around z=0

am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you must expand each of the powers and then extract the coefficient of 1/z and add them up. I think the sum of the series can be expressed in terms of the Bessel function of order 1 at -2 i (but I have to check to verify this)

Now, you can find that result directly simply by putting
z = exp(i theta), and integrating from theta = 0 to 2 pi. You then get an integral that is the same up to some factor to the Bessel function of order 1 of imaginary argument.

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function over a complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but it takes into account complex numbers and their properties.

2. Why is it important to check my values for a complex integral?

Checking your values for a complex integral is important because it ensures the accuracy of your calculations. Small errors can lead to significant differences in the final result, so it is crucial to double-check your work.

3. How do I check the values for a complex integral?

To check the values for a complex integral, you can use various methods such as evaluating the integral using different techniques, comparing your result with a known solution, or using software or calculators specifically designed for complex integrals.

4. What should I do if my calculated values for a complex integral seem incorrect?

If your calculated values for a complex integral seem incorrect, you should first check for any errors in your calculations or input. You can also try using a different method or tool to verify your results. If you are still unsure, it is best to seek help from a mathematician or a colleague.

5. Can I use the same techniques for checking values for both real and complex integrals?

While some techniques for checking values for real and complex integrals may be similar, there are also significant differences. For complex integrals, you need to consider properties of complex numbers and their manipulation rules. It is essential to familiarize yourself with these concepts to accurately check the values for a complex integral.