1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking solution for a system of ODEs

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a particular solution to
    ##\begin{cases}x'=5x+4y+t\\ y'=x+8y-t\end{cases}##
    using a variety of methods that are listed. I've been using undetermined coefficients on this problem thus far.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My answer is
    ##\begin{cases}

x(t)= -4C_1e^{4t}+C_2e^{9t}-\frac{1}{3}t-\frac{5}{54}\\

y(t)= C_1e^{4t}+C_2e^{9t}+\frac{1}{6}t+\frac{7}{216}

\end{cases}##

I'll show my work in another post. This problem just so happens to have its solution listed in the back of the book, which is
    ##\begin{cases}x(t)=\frac{1}{5}C_1\left(e^{9t}+e^{4t}\right) + \frac{4}{5}C_2\left(e^{9t}-e^{4t}\right) - \frac{18t+5}{54}\\
    y(t) = \frac{1}{5}C_1\left(e^{9t}-e^{4t}\right) + \frac{1}{5}C_2\left(e^{9t}+e^{4t}\right) - \frac{t}{6}+\frac{7}{216}\end{cases}##

I've also checked with WolframAlpha, which gives me a similar result with powers of ##e## factored out, but without the rational coefficients:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x'=5x+4y+t,+y'=x+8y-t

I'm wondering why all these answers may be different. It could be that I'm missing something in my work. Any ideas?

I just don't see how the exponential terms in my answer can be written in the other ways.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2
    Here's my work. Rewriting the equations in matrix form, I get
    ##\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix}' = \begin{pmatrix}5&4\\1&8\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix} + t\begin{pmatrix}1\\-1\end{pmatrix}##

Using the usual eigenvalue method, I get a characteristic solution of
    ##\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix}_c = C_1e^{4t}\begin{pmatrix}-4\\1\end{pmatrix} + C_2e^{9t}\begin{pmatrix}1\\1\end{pmatrix}##.

Then, using the undetermined coefficients method, as a guess I use
    ##\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix}_p=t\vec{a}+\vec{b}##,

which gives me the particular solution
    ##\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix}_p=t\begin{pmatrix}-\frac{1}{3}\\\frac{1}{6}\end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix}-\frac{5}{54}\\\frac{7}{216}\end{pmatrix}##

So, my final solution, as before, is
    ##\begin{cases}

x(t)= -4C_1e^{4t}+C_2e^{9t}-\frac{1}{3}t-\frac{5}{54}\\

y(t)= C_1e^{4t}+C_2e^{9t}+\frac{1}{6}t+\frac{7}{216}

\end{cases}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted