Chemical Engineering or Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between majoring in chemistry and chemical engineering. While chemists focus on creating and applying chemicals, chemical engineers focus on mass production. It is possible to enter the workforce with a chemical engineering degree, but a chemistry degree often requires further education.
loretaytay
I will be attending college this fall as a freshman, so I'm trying to decide on a major. My first choice of a major was chemistry because I had planned on going to medschool, but now I am also considering majoring in chemical engineering.

What are the major differences between the two? What kind of opportunities would I have in each field, meaning what kind of careers would I be most likely to enter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemists tend to focus on creating new chemicals and applying already existing chemicals to processes. Chemical engineers tend to focus on how to mass produce the chemical. The line is blurry though - exception definitely exist.

With Chemical Engineering you have a shot of getting a job out of Undergrad. If you do Chemistry, it has to be a bridge to something higher, whether that be Medschool or Grad school or what have you.

1. What is the difference between Chemical Engineering and Chemistry?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, produce, and operate processes that convert raw materials into useful products. Chemistry, on the other hand, is a branch of science that focuses on the study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. While both fields involve the study of chemicals, chemical engineering is more focused on the practical application of chemistry principles in industrial settings.

2. What are the job opportunities for graduates with a degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry?

Graduates with degrees in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, food and beverage, environmental engineering, and many others. They can work as process engineers, research scientists, quality control analysts, and more.

3. Can you explain the concept of "chemical reactions"?

Chemical reactions are processes in which substances, called reactants, are transformed into different substances, known as products. These reactions involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds, resulting in the rearrangement of atoms to form new molecules. Some common examples of chemical reactions include combustion, oxidation, and decomposition.

4. How important is safety in chemical engineering or chemistry?

Safety is of utmost importance in chemical engineering and chemistry. As these fields deal with potentially hazardous substances, it is crucial to follow safety protocols to prevent accidents and protect both the environment and human health. Chemical engineers and chemists are trained in proper handling, storage, and disposal of chemicals, as well as identifying and mitigating potential risks.

5. What are some emerging trends in chemical engineering or chemistry?

Some emerging trends in chemical engineering and chemistry include the use of green chemistry principles to develop more sustainable and environmentally-friendly processes, the application of nanotechnology in various industries, and the development of new materials using innovative techniques. There is also a growing emphasis on data-driven approaches and automation in these fields, leading to improved efficiency and productivity.