Chemical Engineering: Benefits of Double Degree & Further Study

In summary, the individual is considering a double degree in chemical engineering and a Bachelor of Science in pure or applied math. They are wondering if this combination would be beneficial for their engineering career and if further education, such as a Master's or PhD, would be necessary. They also mention the possibility of a company paying for their education if they join a larger company. Additionally, they ask if a degree in pure math would be helpful in their engineering career and if the math covered in a Bachelor of Engineering degree is sufficient.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. There are currently two degrees i am strongly considering taking next year, and chemical engineering is one of them. Reasons for my choice:
  • I love maths
  • I like chemistry
  • Physics is alright =P
  • The income is decent

Now, if i did go for this, id make it a double degree and also do a BSc majoring in pure (maybe applied) math. Would this be a good choice; would it benefit my engineering career?

My second question: would it be beneficial to go further than just a bachelors degree, and go for Masters, or even a phD? Is further study usually for those looking to go into academia/research, or will it help my career?

All input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
My aunt is a chemical engineer and works for the DoD. Her degree was in Electrical Engineering and ended up as a chemical engineer. They later paid for her to get her masters in Chemical Engineering.

So that's always an option is to wait for a company to pay for you if you plan on joining a bigger company.

Ah ok. What about the pure math, anyone know if that would be beneficial? Is the math covered in the BEng degree sufficient, or is it a case of "the more math the better"?

What is chemical engineering and why is it important?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the application of principles from chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and operate processes that transform raw materials into useful products. It is important because it plays a crucial role in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and materials manufacturing, among others.

What are the benefits of pursuing a double degree in chemical engineering?

Pursuing a double degree in chemical engineering allows students to gain a broader understanding and skill set in both chemical engineering and another related field. This can open up more career opportunities and make graduates more competitive in the job market. It also provides a more diverse education and the chance to explore different interests.

What are the potential career paths for a chemical engineering double degree graduate?

A chemical engineering double degree graduate can pursue various careers in industries such as biotechnology, environmental engineering, process engineering, pharmaceuticals, and materials science. They can also work in research and development, consulting, management, or academia.

Why should someone consider further study in chemical engineering?

Further study in chemical engineering can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific area of interest, making graduates more specialized and sought after in the job market. It can also lead to higher-paying positions and opportunities for career advancement.

What are some examples of further study options for chemical engineering graduates?

Chemical engineering graduates can pursue further study through a master's or doctoral degree in a specialized area such as biochemical engineering, environmental engineering, or materials science. They can also participate in continuing education programs or obtain professional certifications to stay updated on industry developments and advance their careers.