Chemical Engineering

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
danago
Gold Member
Hey. There are currently two degrees i am strongly considering taking next year, and chemical engineering is one of them. Reasons for my choice:
  • I love maths
  • I like chemistry
  • Physics is alright =P
  • The income is decent

Now, if i did go for this, id make it a double degree and also do a BSc majoring in pure (maybe applied) math. Would this be a good choice; would it benefit my engineering career?

My second question: would it be beneficial to go further than just a bachelors degree, and go for Masters, or even a phD? Is further study usually for those looking to go into academia/research, or will it help my career?

All input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Answers and Replies

My aunt is a chemical engineer and works for the DoD. Her degree was in Electrical Engineering and ended up as a chemical engineer. They later paid for her to get her masters in Chemical Engineering.

So thats always an option is to wait for a company to pay for you if you plan on joining a bigger company.

danago
Gold Member
Ah ok. What about the pure math, anyone know if that would be beneficial? Is the math covered in the BEng degree sufficient, or is it a case of "the more math the better"?