Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical that reacts with glass and cools

1. Sep 4, 2014 #1
    Hi, I'm far from a chemist / engineer but am looking for something that will react with glass and cool to around 40 deg F. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2014 #2
    What do you mean by react with glass? What are you trying to achieve? You can, for instance, make conductive glass by heating a piece with tin (II) chloride, among other things.

4. Sep 4, 2014 #3
    I think what he means is a substance that will react with the glass lattice and change it's composition , with a positive enthalpy, decreasing temp. If not idk what op is looking for.

5. Sep 4, 2014 #4
    Sounds about right Shinaolord

6. Sep 4, 2014 #5
    I'm a physics major, so i'm no expert and don't know of anything that would cause the desired effect.

7. Sep 4, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What kind of glass? Any glass? Because glass is either a transparent thing you see in your window (in which case I doubt substance you are looking for exists), or any other amorphous solid that exhibits a glass transition - so there are plenty of other materials that are technically glasses, I am sure some of them will fit conditions you described above (whatever they really are).

8. Sep 4, 2014 #7
    I believe he means silicon based glass.
    Good catch though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook