Chemical that reacts with glass and cools

  • Thread starter Thread starter shotgung
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemical Glass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
shotgung
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm far from a chemist / engineer but am looking for something that will react with glass and cool to around 40 deg F. Any ideas?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean by react with glass? What are you trying to achieve? You can, for instance, make conductive glass by heating a piece with tin (II) chloride, among other things.
 
I think what he means is a substance that will react with the glass lattice and change it's composition , with a positive enthalpy, decreasing temp. If not idk what op is looking for.
 
I'm a physics major, so I'm no expert and don't know of anything that would cause the desired effect.
 
What kind of glass? Any glass? Because glass is either a transparent thing you see in your window (in which case I doubt substance you are looking for exists), or any other amorphous solid that exhibits a glass transition - so there are plenty of other materials that are technically glasses, I am sure some of them will fit conditions you described above (whatever they really are).
 
I believe he means silicon based glass.
Good catch though.