Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any interactions from mixing these chemicals?

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    So I recently got a new job, and when I was being instructed on how to close my department, I noticed that they used quite a bit of chemicals on the same surface (it's a salad bar). I was wondering if any of these chemicals could interact, and if so, what the products would be.
    First, the glass is cleaned with Windex on both the surface and underneath the glass, and directly beneath that is sprayed with granite cleaner. Due to the close proximity, it's very easy to mix them.
    Eventually, the granite and metal surface beside it is wiped down with what I was told is "food grade sanitizer." This happens pretty much every 15 minutes or so for a few hours, and then the granite cleaner is used and the Windex.

Is this safe to do, or are there any possible reactions from using these chemicals together like this?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Windex?" Ammonia formulation? Or, vinegar? "Food grade sanitizer?" Peroxide? Alcohol? Hypochlorite? "Granite cleaner?" You're going to have to read the labels --- and communicate. Odds are --- "No."

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3

rbelli1

Gold Member

I believe Bystander intended to answer the first question "Is it safe"

Post the MSDS or SDS for each product. That may give an indication of the safety of mixing them. Generally you don't want to mix them unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it regardless of what is assumed from the ingredients.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook